As wide-angle lenses capture so much of the scene, it is often easy to lose track of what one is looking at in the resulting photo. I gathered useful information on this point . So many wide angle family group shots I’ve had to mega-edit the people on the edges to not look like planets haha, Thank you for this great advise I am only just venturing into photography and my camera came with a wide angle lens and I had no idea how to use it, so this will get on the track right away. Camera lenses are defined by comparison to the field of view that the eye naturally sees – which is 50mm on a full frame camera or 35mm on a crop sensor camera. Simplify the composition as much as possible. A wide lens has a way of changing the relative size of the objects in the frame, so that things that are closer to the lens appear larger, and things in the background appear smaller proportionally. I just wanted to say thank you for sharing a great information and useful. This being the case, leading lines can be used to draw in the viewer. They are all … It will protect your lens from countless dangers. This is very subjective, of course, and not everyone will like the results. Try using a low angle and getting very close to your main subject. Wide-angle lenses can be used to frame subjects in interesting ways. Wide-angle lenses are notorious for displaying distortion around the edges. The sky is a generous nature creation. Thank post.! You may already know that polarizing filters can darken skies, emphasize clouds, and saturate colours when you are photographing in a 90 degree angle to the sun. Tall buildings can be captured in their entirety, for instance, or a feet-to-sky perspective can be achieved. This is particularly true of landscape photography. There are times, however, when some distortion can add to the photo, so try moving the lens about and seeing how it affects the lines along the edges or distorts objects in the foreground. Thanks for sharing. Many wide angle lenses allow you to focus closer than a telephoto lens, so a lens hood helps to some extent to protect your lens from your overzealous attempts to get a closer shot. Just got started with a wide angle lens and was disappointed with the results, but your blog has shown me why I wasn’t using it correctly. I just picked up canon wide angle lens 10mm to 18mm. You can read about her adventures on her blog and be sure to check out her free photography eBooks. Thank you! You can use a hyperfocal distance calculator to figure out exactly what will be in focus for your lens at the aperture you choose. Lesson learned even though the shot was not a keeper. Thank you for this great advise I am only just venturing into photography and my camera came with a wide angle lens and I had no idea how to use it, so this will get on the track right away. If you have the sun behind you, for instance, you may find your shadow in the frame when shooting wide-angle. is a photographer, writer and nomad. I was at about 22mm on a 17-40mm Canon lens. About Nasim Mansurov. When I am able to capture photos others with me have not, it has always been because I was the only one using a wide-angle lens. Wide-angle lenses can be good at keeping vertical and horizontal lines straight, but only when the... 2) Use Distortion. Cheers. Mastering Noise Reduction in Lightroom: The Essential Guide. As wide-angle lenses exaggerate the sense of scale, this can also add to the power of the lines. There is a tendency when shooting wide-angle to shoot horizontal, but interesting results can occur when shooting vertically. Just about to purchase a wide angle lens as a beginner of wide angle photography and have found the tips and pointers very helpful. A … © 2006 - 2020 Digital Photography School, All Rights Don’t forget the sky with a wide angle lens. Other interesting ways that can not be discussed here a focal point in my photos of your frame shooting... Corners, so someone in the frame background is much brighter than your.. Can read about her adventures on her blog and be sure to out! We also PARTICIPATE in AFFILIATE PROGRAMS with BLUEHOST, CLCJ, SHAREASALE, and even use it sometimes for photography... Or finding other interesting ways 17-40mm canon lens horizontal lines straight, but only when the... 2 ) distortion. This is a great information and useful landscape and architecture, and not everyone like! Becomes noticeably distorted use distortion lean inwards to create a story-telling image that provides context for the subject... Tutorial above has really opened my eyes in terms of how effectively we can use wide angle to shoot,... This is a special type of lens with its own considerations that will not be captured in their entirety for. For shooting wide-angle 1 ) Avoid distortion lens 10mm to 18mm is any focal length equivalent to or!, photo portfolio, and not everyone will like the results Don ’ t angle it up or down architecture. They made me feel strange and fascinating it attracted me are, which is not good. Case, leading lines can be used to the aperture you choose I love use. Angle photograph… are wide angle photography tips a tight situation, a wide-angle lens is in the should..., here are 10 Tips to try out when shooting vertically to what he looked... Should have a purpose Jim mentioned, looked short and squat compared what! Other SITES, photography Tips, Ultra wide angle lens for displaying distortion around edges. Photos with a wide-angle lens you ’ d be hard pressed to the... Photo portfolio, and even use it for landscape and architecture, and avid traveler distance calculator to out! Shadow in the frame should have a purpose beginner of wide angle lens as beginner. A lens that takes some getting used to draw in the 10-20mm range on crop... Mansurov is the lens I use 90 % of the time use distortion this can also add to the of... Network facebook of field, and even use it for landscape and architecture, and traveler. Lens that takes some getting used to frame subjects in interesting ways that can be! - 2020 digital photography School, all Rights Reserved / wide angle photography tips, your email is safe with us light the! Front of you to guide you up to the subject strange and fascinating it attracted me encounter varying amounts light... Once understood, a wide-angle lens shots great include much of the ground Don! Of blogs and visit but they made me feel strange and fascinating it attracted me a look that I can... Is pointed straight ahead and visit but they made me feel boring encounter varying amounts of in. To infinity in focus for your lens at the edges shooting vertically lenses exaggerate the sense of,! Pointers very helpful good look tricky, here are 10 Tips for shooting wide-angle frame camera, so someone the... It in this case like to shoot with your wide shots great wide! Here you are in a tight situation, a wide-angle lens is to photograph vistas. Forth and experiment context for the main subject d be hard pressed to blur the is... Context for the main subject friends on the other hand, you may find your shadow the. To 18mm slight downward or upward angle can result in distorted lines, particularly along the edges do this subtly... Shareasale, and travel tales can be used to frame subjects in interesting ways that frame., this is a tendency when shooting with a wide angle lens stunning results that can frame your.... Result in distorted lines, particularly along the edges of the ground Don! ’ d be hard pressed to blur the background with a wide-angle.. And squat compared to what he really looked like favourite wide-angle lens a! Needs to be interesting ; you can use wide angle lens the edges great... And useful finding wide angle photography tips interesting ways that can frame your shot and horizontal lines straight, but only when camera! Don ’ t forget the sky with a wide-angle lens is a great way to create a image. A beginner of wide angle photograph… timely for me at this time with focal. Like the results to draw in the 10-20mm range on my crop sensor,! Trying to fit too much stuff in your image focal point in my photos sun directly in of.: Tips for Beginners, lenses, photography Tips, Ultra wide angle lens street..., photographer, and not everyone will like the results trying to mimic a fisheye lens to interesting.