WWOTD: Habitat - my house is my habitat. In what part of the rain forest do armadillos live? WWOTD: Armadillos live in there own habitat. I wonder if they sell them at the pet store because I want one. • Where do armadillos live? CONNECTION:I think you can start to study armadillos to learn more about them. WWOTD: My habitat is at home in my bed. In some parts of the USA, armadillos are called poor man’s pork or Hoover Hog. You have answered 0 of 3 questions correctly and your score is: Subscribe to Wonderopolis and receive We hope you'll do some more research of your own about how fast armadillos can move, especially if they feel threatened by a predator. What does it look like? An adult giant armadillo can be up to 75 to 100 cm in size (without tail) and weigh up to 19 to 33 kg. What should the billboards say? Although they sleep 16 hours a day and keep themselves safe underground in burrows and dens. CONNECTION:When I went to the zoo I saw an anteater. Thought : well I can see it about armadillos but I would like you to show Armadillos can be found in several states such as Texas and Missouri. Armadillos are wild animals and sometimes carry disease. Their claws are perfectly designed to dig the ground and sticky tongue helps to pick the bugs and termites easily. WWOTD: People have habitats too WWOTD:Habitat- type of environment in which an organism or group normally lives. Tell everybody about Wonderopolis and its wonders. They are mainly found in Texas, North Carolina and Florida in the United States. The population of the pink fairy armadillo is decreasing because of habitat destruction. Armadillos are so cute and so amazing I just love them my cousin used to have one but then it died. It is also known as the Pichiciego, the smallest armadillo species. They eat mainly insects. :), What a great observation, Romen! You've done a great job of sharing what you learned from today's "little armored one" Wonder! Usually, armadillos prefer sandy or loam soils that are loose and porous. :) THOUGHT: They look like they're wild. CONNECTION: I saw armadillos at the zoo before. This makes digging for food and creating burrows easier.All armadillos live in Central and South America, except for one species. But their population is still increasing as humans have also killed their natural predators. They wake up to look for food in the early morning and early evening. They can be about 2.5 feet long from the nose to the tip of the tail and weigh an average of 12 pounds. Cool armadillo. We think it's great how much you learned about armadillos today and some of you have even seen them in your town! They do this when they are protecting themselves - some armadillos can curl up into a ball of defense! This is the only species of armadillo that has dorsal shell completely separate from its body. PREDICTION: I bet tomorrow's wonder will be about something fun. Armadillos are cool I remember touching one in the zoo. CONNECTION:When the article said it was a long lost relative of the turtle, I think yes. What fun to Wonder while you visit the zoo! WOOHOO for WONDERing! HOW COOL! It's very cool that there is an armadillo at your local zoo, too! Keep learning about these fascinating creatures by checking out one or more of the following activities with a friend or family member: dude, maggie and Carmine for contributing questions about today’s Wonder topic! Connection : I once saw a dead armadillo in the road His armor was strong and hard. We look forward to finding out what tomorrow's Wonder will be with you all, we love your predictions! We — and all the armadillos in Wonderopolis — can't wait to see what you create. I wonder why they named armadillos Spanish. 2014–2020 © National Center for Families Learning, http://www.wonderopolis.org/wonder/where-do-armadillos-live, © National Center for Families Learning (NCFL). Thank you for sharing your connections, Wonder word sentences, and predictions today! CONNECTION: I really don't like armadillos I don't know why. Only one—the nine-banded armadillo—lives in the U.S. The scientific name of Pink fairy armadillo is Chlamyphorus truncates. You've done a great job WONDERing with us today! We look forward to WONDERing with you again soon! At their smallest, they are only six inches long. As it is an excellent digger and love feeding on small bugs and insects by digging the ground. In the Southwestern United States, they often wander onto highways where they are run over by cars regularly. :), Thanks for telling us about your cool connections to our Wonder today, Kayla, Adrian, and Edgar! Their name is nine-banded armadillos, despite that they can have 7 to 11 bands on their armour. CONNECTION: I have an armadillo shell. :), Hi, Jeff! Armadillos are truly remarkable creatures. I thought that the armadillo would have balled up but it did not. They like to sleep a lot, so they rest up in these holes! Their heads, backs, legs, and tails are covered with bony plates. Prediction: I predict that tomorrow the wonder of the day will be about ice cream. They moved because of the early Pleistocene as part of the Great American reciprocate. According to the Internet Center for Wildlife Damage Management, armadillos are very picky about where they live based on what type of soil is found in the area. They’re definitely interesting-looking animals. THOUGHT: I liked the story because it told you how the armadillo looked like and and it had lots of details. Other than human the nine-banded armadillo is the only animal that causes leprosy to humans by holding them very rarely. QUESTION: How do armadillos curl up? In the video was that a real armadillo because it was moving that much in the video? :), Well hello Elijah, Daisy, and Sadie! There are only one species of armadillo live in the United States. WWOTD:The armadillo has a habitat. I love armadillos and I didn't know they didn't like cold weather I just thought they lived in deserts. What are we talking about? I liked the video about armadillos it had a lot of information. We think it would be very difficult to run quickly with a protective shell on our backs, but armadillos seem to do a great job adapting! I have never seen an armadillo before but people have said that they are cool mammals. You planet. However, almost all armadillo species live in Latin America.