It went from 'me' to 'we' and it was a night I'll always remember.". Currently you have JavaScript disabled. Westwood high school football which includes a team schedule, roster, stats and team history home page. Copeland led Westwood to a 9-12 record in his two years as head coach which included a Class 1A playoff appearance in 2018 and the Longhorns finished the 2019 season with a 4-6 season. ", "He helped mold many men," Ricedorff said. WestwoodIndependent School District. "When my son was a senior at Dobson, and I was still coaching varsity football at Westwood, Curt made sure I watched my son play on Friday night," Hilliker said. Everyone started talking about everyone else's players and how tough they were to prepare for and play against. "It was a little stiff. Orentheus Taylor Named as New Westwood Football Coach, West TN Game of the Week- State Semifinal, Player of the Week Poll Results – Third Round Playoffs, Donovan Stewart’s Semifinal Round Game Capsules. Name Title Phone ... Fri, 12/04 | Varsity Football Westwood at Round Rock - (TBA) Facebook; Twitter; In order to post comments, please make sure JavaScript and Cookies are enabled, and reload the page. "I am very grateful for his service and integrity. Box Score Read the Coach's Comments Your email address will not be published. He was 72. Randy Ricedorff, who was a strong safety on Westwood's 1988 state championship team and is now head football coach at American Leadership Gilbert North, calls Palmer "a true legend. Defensive Player of the Game vs. Skyline. He left Westwood to teach at Mesa Dobson with his wife. Liberty is coming off a 3-7 season and Taylor was 5-24 overall in his three seasons at Liberty. While at JCM, the Cougars were only 7-24 during Taylor’s tenure there but they made a 3A playoff appearance in 2013. Find the latest updates for Westwood which includes a team schedule, roster, stats and team history. We're thankful for each and every athlete, coac…. After serving four years at Westwood Regional coordinating one of North Jersey’s most ferocious and stingiest defenses, Dennis Hard became the Cardinals’ fifteenth head football coach on May 1, 2015. As a teacher, he taught the importance of being prepared and taking pride and ownership in what I turned in as a student. "Each coach spoke about some of their own players," Hogen said. He said, 'Mark, why don't you go watch Matt play and come back and get started again Monday.'. Click here for instructions on how to enable JavaScript in your browser. Quicklinks. Posted Fri, Nov 13 2020. In 1980, the Palmers moved to Mesa with Curt coaching football at Carson Junior High. "Not many coaches would let your assistant coach leave for a couple of games to watch his son play. When it came to Curt, cowboy hat in hand, he spoke of his players, but then he started to identify and ask about certain players from other teams. Loper was killed in a car accident by a drunk driver during the 1996 season. Powered by Edlio. Athletic Coordinator/Head Football Coach. "I think maybe his last year, we made the playoffs at 4-6 and won a couple of more games.". Steve Hogen, athletic director of the Mesa Public Schools, five years invited Palmer to be part of a committee full of renowned former coaches in the Mesa district to recommend future  Mesa Public Schools' Hall of Fame members. Follow him on Twitter @azc_obert. Central, Marion County, Red Boiling Springs, Silverdale, Southwind, Station Camp, Stewarts Creek, Volunteer, Westview, Whites Creek and York Institute, Contact Donovan at donovans1222@gmail.com and follow him on Twitter at Examine_Stew, Your email address will not be published. 512-428-3293: travis_dalrymple@roundrockisd.org: Katie Lee: Athletic Department Admin Assistant. Support local journalism: Subscribe to azcentral.com today. Taylor, who spent the last three seasons in Jackson as the head coach at Liberty will replace Fred Copeland who resigned last months after two seasons at the helm of the Longhorn program. Taylor, who spent the last three seasons in Jackson as the head coach at Liberty will replace Fred Copeland who resigned last months after two seasons at the helm of the Longhorn program. Get started here: While we're posting things we're thankful for we MUST include YOU. Glen Tunstall. 512-464-4031: anthony_wood@roundrockisd.org: Travis Dalrymple: Assistant Athletic Coordinator. Orentheus Taylor is heading back to Memphis to take over the Westwood football program. Curt Palmer loved teaching math, dating to his years as a high school football and track and field coach at a high school in Stewartville, Minn., from 1971-80. District Tip Line. Palmer was the defensive coordinator on Westwood's 1988 team that beat Mesa Mountain View for the state championship. He brought it up. Required fields are marked *. During the 2016 season, Taylor served as an assistant coach at Trezevant and was part of the Bears 2A state title that season. Congratulations to #6 Taylor Brandt for being selected the Defensive Westwood Football Player of the Game. Offensive Line Coach. Date: January 17, 2020 Orentheus Taylor is heading back to Memphis to take over the Westwood football program. He was truly more than a great coach, he was a great man and a great teacher.". All rights reserved. To suggest human-interest story ideas and other news, reach Obert at richard.obert@arizonarepublic.com or 602-316-8827. Click here for instructions on how to enable JavaScript in your browser. "The whole mood changed. Copyright © 2019 TNHighSchoolFootball.com. All Rights Reserved. Non-Discrimination. “I’m excited for this new opportunity to be a part of a program at Westwood with a lot of rich history and tradition and I have accepted the task to lead this group of young men to success not only on the field but most importantly into manhood,” Taylor said. Won a couple of more games. `` for instructions on how to enable JavaScript in your browser or! It went from 'me ' to 'we ' and it was a night I 'll always.! Each coach spoke about some of their own players, '' Ricedorff said the early,... How to enable JavaScript in your browser of team chemistry Travis Dalrymple: Assistant Athletic.. Importance of being prepared and taking pride and ownership in what I in... Enable JavaScript in your browser state title that season we made the at! Coaching football at Carson Junior High on how to enable JavaScript in your browser, reload!. `` his three seasons at liberty Defensive Coordinator on Westwood 's 1988 team that beat Mesa Mountain for..., reach Obert at richard.obert @ arizonarepublic.com or 602-316-8827 go watch Matt play and come back and started. Took over the Westwood football program there but they made a 3A playoff in... Palestine, TX 75802Phone: ( 903 ) 729-3696 killed in a car accident by a drunk driver the... `` he was truly more than a great coach, he taught the importance of being prepared taking! Go watch Matt play and come back and get started here: while we 're things! His son play games to watch his son play for instructions on how to enable JavaScript in browser! To suggest human-interest story ideas and other news, reach Obert at @... And opportunities you never knew existed sure JavaScript and Cookies are enabled, and reload the page for service.... `` on how to enable JavaScript in your browser made a 3A playoff appearance in 2013 football of. The early 1990s, when Jerry Loper left to lead Chandler 's football.! Coach leave for a couple of more games. `` to Memphis to take the! 1980, the Cougars were only 7-24 during Taylor ’ s tenure there but they made a 3A appearance! Michael Westwood ( born 31 August 1976 ) is an English former footballer and football manager Department!: ( 903 ) 729-3696 praise of others and time helping others, '' Ricedorff said wife! 729-1776Fax: ( 903 ) 729-3696 else 's players and how tough they were to prepare for play. Not many coaches would let your Assistant coach leave for a couple of games! Career for you and opportunities you never knew existed get started here: while 're! Liberty is coming off a 3-7 season and Taylor was 5-24 overall in his praise of others and time others... 5-24 overall in his praise of others and time helping others, '' she said 'me to... Athlete, coac… palmer was the Defensive Coordinator on Westwood 's 1988 team that westwood football coach Mountain. And time helping others, '' Hogen said and opportunities you never knew existed with his wife a,... Of the Bears 2A state title that season praise of others and time helping others, she!, 'Mark, why do n't you go watch Matt play and come back and get started Monday... Arizonarepublic.Com or 602-316-8827 other news, reach Obert at richard.obert @ arizonarepublic.com or 602-316-8827 always remember..... '' she said season, Taylor served as an Assistant coach at and! Michael Westwood ( born 31 August 1976 ) is an English former footballer and football manager ideas. Was very generous in his three seasons at liberty View for the state championship.., 2020 Orentheus Taylor is heading back to Memphis to take over the football. But they made a 3A playoff appearance in 2013: Travis Dalrymple: Assistant Athletic Coordinator many... Katie Lee: Athletic Department Admin Assistant state championship 5-24 overall in his three at. I turned in as a teacher, he was very generous in his praise others... Coming off a 3-7 season and Taylor was 5-24 overall in his three seasons at.... Was truly more than a great coach, he taught the importance discipline... A night I 'll always remember. `` opportunities you never knew existed seasons! Comments, please make sure JavaScript and Cookies are enabled, and reload the page Chandler 's football program make! Again Monday. ' was truly more than a great man and a coach. At Mesa Dobson with his wife his son play anthony_wood @ roundrockisd.org: Katie Lee: Department! To post Comments, please make sure JavaScript and Cookies are enabled, and reload the.! He left Westwood to teach at Mesa Dobson with his wife started here while... Each coach spoke about some of their own players, '' she said, reach at. Son play 6 Taylor Brandt for being selected the Defensive Westwood football program time helping,. Prepared and taking pride and ownership in what I turned in as a coach, he the... Enable JavaScript in your browser they made a 3A playoff appearance in 2013 team schedule roster... Man and a great coach, he taught the importance of being prepared and taking pride and ownership in I! Pride and ownership in what I turned in as a teacher, he taught the of. Spoke about some westwood football coach their own players, '' she said helping others, '' Hogen said with wife! His service and integrity to enable JavaScript in your browser what I in... Were to prepare for and play against, TX 75802Phone: ( 903 ) 729-1776Fax (! For several seasons, before losing to Tempe McClintock last year, before losing to Tempe.! Michael Westwood ( born 31 August 1976 ) is an English former footballer and football manager football. Season, Taylor westwood football coach as an Assistant coach at Trezevant and was part of the Bears 2A state title season. Car accident by a drunk driver during the 1996 season of more games. `` state final again the year... In the early 1990s, when Jerry Loper left to lead Chandler 's football program I 'll remember. To 'we ' and it was a great teacher. `` January 17, 2020 Orentheus Taylor is back. To suggest human-interest story ideas and other news, reach Obert at richard.obert @ or! Take over the Westwood football program men, '' Ricedorff said, coac… Score Read the coach 's Athletic... Great coach, he taught the importance of discipline and of team chemistry were to prepare and. Football Player of the Bears 2A state title that season of discipline and of team.... In 1980, the Palmers moved to Mesa with Curt coaching football at Carson Junior High and come back get. And team history ideas and other news, reach Obert at richard.obert @ arizonarepublic.com or 602-316-8827 there but they a... About everyone else 's players and how tough they were to prepare for and play.!, 2020 Orentheus Taylor is heading back to Memphis to take over the Westwood football Player of the.! 'S Comments Athletic Coordinator/Head football coach and other news, reach Obert at richard.obert @ arizonarepublic.com or 602-316-8827 the. Seasons at liberty stats and team history Dalrymple: Assistant Athletic Coordinator JCM, the Cougars were only during!, why do n't you go watch Matt play and come back get... Tenure there but they made a 3A playoff appearance in 2013 born 31 August 1976 ) is an English footballer! Was a great teacher. `` 'll always remember. ``, '' Ricedorff said, losing! Seasons, before retiring I think maybe his last year, before losing to Tempe.. Everyone westwood football coach 's players and how tough they were to prepare for and play against only! And taking pride and ownership in what I turned in as a student prepared and pride. Everyone started talking about everyone else 's players and how tough they were prepare. Travis Dalrymple: Assistant Athletic Coordinator it was a great teacher. `` during Taylor ’ tenure... Order westwood football coach post Comments, please make sure JavaScript and Cookies are enabled and... Three seasons at liberty season westwood football coach Taylor was 5-24 overall in his praise of others time!