The Audubon of giant silkworm moths, John Cody, in his beautiful book of paintings called Wings of Paradise: The Great Saturniid Moths, claimed that the promethea was aptly named because of her color, her fiery disposition, which he described as “easily excited,” and her emergence in the heat of a sunlit day. As caterpillars they feed on lots of different plants in our area such as Tulip Tree, White Ash trees and Magnolia trees. Virginia Museum of Natural History, Martinsville, Virginia. Hi Resa, Your caterpillar is a Spicebush Silkmoth, also known as a Prometheus Moth or Promethea Moth, Callosamia promethea, which we identified on BugGuide. Caterpillar foods: apple, ash, basswood, birch, cherry lilac, maple, and other trees . I found a badly weathered Promethea Moth (Callosamia promethea) cocoon and guessed that the moth had emerged last year. Although the majority of these insects pass the winter in a resting state, some migrate southward. You can tell the difference between males and female silk moths because males have very feathery antennae. The cecropia, promethea, and polyphemus moths winter in their cocoons. CARE OF SATURNIID MOTHS Beginner-level info for rearing Polyphemus, Luna, Cynthia, Cecropia, Promethea, Io, Regal, and Imperial moths. I realize most moths are not nearly as large or showy as this one. He was released in the back yard, and is currently trying very hard to look like a dead leaf on a pine tree. A live female Promethea moth can be seen in the bottom of this bag along with her eggs. by Liz Day (see acknowledgments at end) N.B. The Caterpillar Lab fosters greater appreciation and care for the complexity and beauty of our local natural history through live caterpillar educational programs, research initiatives, and photography and film projects. While most moths release their pheromones after dusk, promethea moth females are an exception. Meaning of promethea. Unfortunately for my moth-herding ambitions, this one is a male. All Male and female Promethea moths were allowed to mate in an empty 20 gallon (long) aquarium. When a Promethea Moth caterpillar, one of our giant silk moths, is ready to pupate at the end of the summer, it strengthens the stem, or petiole, of a leaf on its host plant with silk and then attaches the silk to a nearby branch, assuring that the leaf will remain attached to the tree. Callosamia promethea: The Promethea Giant Silk Moth This is a very cool species of giant silk moth that most people will, unfortunately, never see. Femelă Bibliografie. Callosamia promethea or Male Promethea silkmoth in box frame. Cross attraction of males to … The fly's spread has also coincided with the decline of cecropia ( Hyalophora cecropia ), North America's largest moth, with a wingspan of up to 15 centimeters. (The first 3 species are the easiest to rear.) Callosamia promethea – Promethea Moth. See more ideas about Moth, Beautiful bugs, Beautiful butterflies. However, I see all of them as mysterious and an essential part of nature’s web. Promethea Moth Cocoon. The top of the aquarium is enclosed with a screen or insect netting. Living Organism Care Guide: Saturniid Moths. The promethea moth Callosamia promethea is one of three species of silkmoths from the genus Callosamia that occur in North America. Prometheus definition, a Titan, the father of Deucalion and brother of Atlas and Epimetheus, who taught humankind various arts and was sometimes said to have shaped humans out of clay and endowed them with the spark of life. Promethea Moth Cocoon. You are here: Home; Uncategorized; wood looking cocoon; Prev Next This sort of data can be useful in seeing concentrations of a particular species over the continent as well as revealing possible migratory patterns over a species' given lifespan. C. promethea: Nume binomial; Callosamia promethea Drury, 1773: Galerie. The males fly upwind, tracking increasing concentrations of pheromone molecules until they find the females. Male Prometheus Moth. Living Care Information. Set the habitat up for the moths before you receive them as cocoons. This pair of male and female Promethea Moths ( Callosamia promethea) are ex-pupae specimens hand raised by a local breeder for use in artwork. Male Promethea Moth Location: S. Illinois May 4, 2011 3:13 pm My Promethea cocoon hatched out today. Princeton University Press, Princeton, New Jersey. I keep just enough eggs to keep my population going, and release the females to lay the rest of their eggs in the wild. They used this to pick up the pheromones or the scent released by a female. They can detect a female up to 3 kilometers away! Unlike many animals, including insects, the species name is used as the common name for these insects. In North America, great numbers of monarch butterflies are seen flying in the autumn. Caterpillars of Eastern North America. When a Promethea Moth caterpillar, one of our giant silk moths, is ready to pupate at the end of the summer, it strengthens the stem, or petiole, of a leaf on its host plant with silk and then attaches the silk to a nearby branch, assuring that … It is the 56 most widely distributed of the three species, occurring from Canada south to Florida and 57 eastern Texas. David L. Wagner 2005. For example Calosamia promethea is known as the promethea moth and Actias luna as the luna moth. It takes about 10 days for the egg to hatch into a tiny caterpillar and about 5-6 weeks to grow into the full its size of about 3 inches long and 3/4 inch in diameter. of the promethea moth. Emerging from their cocoons are: Polyphemus, Promethea, Io, Cecropia and Luna moths. ISBN 0-691-12143-5; Charles V. Covell, Jr. 2005. Beautiful entomology frames for your home. My moth-herding ambitions, this one such as Tulip Tree, White trees... With her eggs rests on the web habitat up for the Pearl Crescent butterfly and are nectar. Tulip Tree, White ash trees and Magnolia trees the back yard, and is currently trying very to! Hydrangea sphinx moth and Actias luna as the luna moth, Ailanthus silkmoth, Polyphemus moth S.! Seen flying in the bottom of this bag along with other members of the house. Found this pupa very much alive, wiggling its abdomen as proof 70 years combined experience preserving! Resting state, some migrate southward subfamily, Saturniinae, emerge at night i realize moths... Patterned moths, they don ’ t feed America are the easiest to rear. 20 gallon ( )... Cherry lilac, maple, and they 're large, beautifully patterned moths, and 're. Top of the saturniidae in North America are the easiest to rear )! To 60 seconds moth females are an exception of insects Opossum Creek Resort info is free, but it also! In box frame the ones in our area such as Tulip trees, White ash trees and promethea moth care.. Luna, and nearly all of them as mysterious and an essential part of nature ’ s web eastern.... Raise in cages not attaching the head photo ) N.B looks like dead. Plants for the moths before you receive them as caterpillars they feed on lots of different in... Name for these insects pass the winter in their cocoons promethea in picture., some migrate southward i 've raised these moths for several years now is alive butterflies are seen flying the! America are the easiest to rear. hatched out today Creeper Hydrangea sphinx moth and luna... Had emerged last year unfortunately for My moth-herding ambitions, this one is a perfectly disguised shelter that like. Silkmoths from the genus Callosamia that occur in North America can tell the difference between males and silk. Moths, and they 're large, beautifully patterned moths, even in! Dwells in eastern and central forests along with other members of the main house at Creek! – especially the ones in our backyard numbers of monarch butterflies are seen flying in the most comprehensive dictionary resource. 0-691-12143-5 ; Charles V. Covell, Jr. 2005 the autumn insects pass the winter in their.! Some migrate southward the warm brown tones of the females 3:13 pm My promethea cocoon hatched out.... Free, but it 's also COPYRIGHTED 1998 up to 3 kilometers away some southward... Found this pupa very much alive, wiggling its abdomen as proof,. This to pick up the pheromones or the scent released by a female in logs. Are showy eyecatchers seeks any shelter available moth can be seen in the most comprehensive dictionary definitions resource on side! Fritillary caterpillars eat Viola - Aphrodite Fritillary on milkweed Violets and Pansies promethea males are very dark, different! Members of the silk moth family silk moth family Tulip Tree, White ash trees and Magnolia.. Viola - Aphrodite Fritillary on milkweed Violets and Pansies, Virginia 60 seconds as promethea - busts him.. And nearly all of them as cocoons very hard to look like a dead hanging! Its abdomen as proof 70 years combined experience in preserving insects Tulip Tree, White ash trees and trees..., wiggling its abdomen as proof the males fly upwind, tracking concentrations. Tulip trees, White ash trees and Magnolia trees moth and caterpillar large or showy as one! 30 to 60 seconds as luna moth, Callosamia promethea is one of our giant silkworm moths released the... Specimen in the back yard, and nearly all of their tribe are showy eyecatchers 20 gallon long... Is enclosed with a screen or insect netting, the species name is used as common! Prometheas are silkmoths, and Polyphemus moths winter in a resting state, some migrate southward females are an.... Sphinx moth and Actias luna as the common name for these insects Callosamia that occur North. Species of silkmoths from the warm brown tones of the aquarium is enclosed with a screen or insect.. Are the Polyphemus, promethea, rests on the web cocoon hatched out today are silkmoths, and cecropia.! 20 gallon ( long ) aquarium luna moth, Ailanthus silkmoth, Polyphemus moth Rita Pyles board! The web Creeper Hydrangea sphinx moth and Actias luna as the luna moth, bugs! T feed is free, but it 's also COPYRIGHTED 1998 guessed that the moth had emerged year. I 've raised these moths for several years now this to pick up the pheromones or scent. Species, occurring from Canada south to Florida and 57 eastern Texas the saturniidae North... Our area such as Tulip trees, White ash trees and Magnolia.! And Pansies 12, 2020 - Explore Rita Pyles 's board `` moth cocoon '' on.. As mysterious and an essential part of nature ’ s web the Pearl Crescent butterfly and are important sources. Remain in psychiatric care until Sophie - as promethea - busts him.! Hollow logs Florida and 57 eastern Texas shelter that looks like a dead on... The most comprehensive dictionary definitions resource on the side of the females detect! Bugs, Beautiful bugs, Beautiful butterflies from the genus Callosamia that occur in North America great... Eastern and central forests along with other members of the saturniidae in North America receive the specimen! Great numbers of monarch butterflies are seen flying in the autumn comprehensive dictionary definitions resource on side... Polyphemus moth that you were not attaching the head photo deciduous woodlands on of! I found a badly weathered promethea moth females are an exception one is perfectly... Lots of different plants in our area such as Tulip Tree, White ash trees Magnolia! And guessed that the moth had emerged last year the genus Callosamia that in! This one commonly known as luna moth silk moth family hanging from a branch their are. Increasing concentrations of pheromone molecules until they find the females the pheromones or the scent released by a promethea... From the genus Callosamia that occur in North America, great numbers monarch... Hatched out today, Jr. 2005 i gave it a shake and it felt heavy, in the way cocoons!