I sterilized my equipement before I started. I think you are awesome to learn to grow orchids! Remaining leaves can be yellow by the crown. It looks very crowded there. Your email address will not be published. I’ve change most of my orchids to smaller pots , making from plastic cool drink bottles. While potting while the orchid is not ideal, there are times when you should re-pot anyway. Thanks for your post! These liner pots are made of strong, durable plastic that provides drainage and allows you to see the roots and potting media. Is my Orchid Going to Die? Your email address will not be published. Make a mini-greenhouse by placing your orchid in a clear plastic bag out of the sun, in a shady location. Unpot the orchid and remove the old media; remove all the mushy or dead roots, and spray the whole plant with Hydrogen peroxide 3%. I also tilt the pots to drain excess water away from the base. I point my fan directly at my orchids until the leaves dry off. If you think back to how orchids grown in nature, their leaves are flopping down, so the bottom of the leaf is actually faced toward the sun. One of the first problems I faced as a new orchid grower was crown rot. In this FREE EMAIL SERIES you'll learn how to grow healthy, flowering orchids. I love your beautiful orchid pots! Orchid crown rot treatment is, thankfully, very easy and usually effective. Required fields are marked *. Pour the water so it goes directly onto the potting medium to help prevent this. Nancy, What can I do to save this orchid? What I recommend is to wait and see. Another tip: during dormancy, orchids don’t need to be fertilized. Anna. If designer, hand-thrown pottery is more your style, I suggest Jolene’s Orchid Pots. I love all type of orchids. One of those times is when the potting media has decomposed. When watering your orchid try to keep water from accumulating at the base of the leaves. Jolene, As the saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Anna. The whole cycle breaks down. Anna. I ordered orchid mix designed for my orchid from repotme.com. Personally, I love Bonsai Jack’s orchid potting mix. What should I do? It really is that easy. Then I point the fan away from my orchids. In advanced cases, the entire base of the orchid will turn black. I appreciate the info. Once the fungal disease occurs, you can really do nothing to stop it from spreading. First of all, congratulations on your long-lived orchid! I'm here to guide you, every step of the way. I wish I could fly to Australia and repot your orchid – especially as you are heading into summer and I am headed for winter! When it is time to water, I put water in a jug and slowly put the plant in the water keeping the top above the water line, then I hold the pot for a minute. Sphag & Bag Method: Rescuing an Orchid with no Roots. I was careful to clean the roots of old medium and to trim off dead ones. Outdoors your orchids should receive plenty of air movement, preventing rot. When watering your orchid use care not to get any water on the stem. Crown rot is a common orchid ailment and is identified by droopy leaves breaking off at the base of the stem. I can’t tell you how many times I have broken a flower stalk when moving an orchid to photograph it! Anna. The well-meaning owner of this orchid placed ice cubes on the leaves of the orchid. It was very healthy and leaves looked green & strong. At the time, I had no idea how much orchids would become a part of my life. Nice indriect sunshine Help. When the ice cubes melted, water accumulated between the leaves resulting in crown rot. If you have just a few and what you are doing works for you, stick with what you are doing. OrchidBliss.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Another thought about moving orchids- I keep mine all in one place (I like to call it my orchid room or inner sanctum) then when the orchid is in full bloom, I move it to my living area where I can enjoy the flowers. Isn’t that bad to be moving them once a week or so into the shower then back to the regular place? To prevent orchid crown rot, when watering your orchid, just water the roots – wet the potting media, but not the orchid’s stem or leaves. What should I do??? Orchids need constant but gentle air movement. Best, Sadly, once crown rot has advanced too far, the orchid may not be able to be saved, but if you catch it in time, the hydrogen peroxide treatment will work well at nipping root rot in the bud. Cultivating Orchids & Crafting Terrariums. How would I know if the crown rot is too advanced? Marcy Bents, Marcy, The crown for prevention and care will be USEFUL! It really is that easy. And without it having current leaves, a new leaf cannot grow because leaves grow from the middle of existing leaves. You will see the peroxide bubble up. When purchasing a new orchid, take a look at the base of the leaves. Water can pool at the base of an orchid's leaves, which can lead to crown rot. Orchids work in cycle between growing new leaves and new roots to new blooms. You could certainly email me a photo of your orchid: [email protected]. Here’s an article that gives solid orchid care tips that you can count on: I just read your new experiment with watering all of your orchids in the shower. It's possible the leaves will fall off if not treated. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. That being said, it is still worth the effort to try to save the orchid. UPDATE: The Orchideria YouTube Channel is about start publishing videos, Check here to see the YouTube page on this website or go to YouTube's platform. Often times orchid sellers repot orchids, and you could pay to them do it for you. I’ve try different types of potting medium , bark chips and little bit of sphagnum mos. Your orchids just won’t get crown rot because it’s 100% preventable. The time you should pot ASAP is if the potting media has salt build-up. Thanks for mentioning my Orchid Pots. Repeat treatment every 2-3 days. Then to be sure I put my orchid on a dry towel, so that all traces of water will be absorbed by the towel. The good news is that you can easily treat crown rot with a product that you probably already have on hand – hydrogen peroxide. Yes, orchid like to be underpotted. If you need to save time, moving your orchids for a shower won’t harm them – unless you drop it, or break a flower stalk, or step on it when you’re moving them around. Anna, Hi Anna! I was battling to keep them alive. If you purchase bare-root orchids, you will need a good potting mix. In the process, you will learn a lot about orchid care and you’ll be a much better caregiver in the future.