Ábel 3. Cookies help us deliver our services. Name days are a tradition of attaching personal names to each day of the year, and celebrating the association of particular days with those for whom that day is named. 2 People have left comments on this post. Újév (New Year's Day) 15. Genovéva Benjámin: 4. Namedays are celebrated in work places, among friends and - of course - in the family. The traditional gift for women is a flower arrangement and men are usually given a bottle of wine. When I was younger, I was surprised to learn my friends did not have or celebrate a name day because I did not realize it was a “Hungarian” thing. 3. Hungarians celebrate name days more enthusiastically than even birthdays. Name days are public knowledge, available on calendars, online and in the newspaper, making it easier to be celebrated in workplaces and schools, as opposed to birthdays. Magyar Marketing is a second-generation family business that began in 1988. The day of each name day are selected from a variety of sources. Sortable Hungarian name days list - this is a sortable list allowing one to list alphabetically or chronologically; Last edited on 29 November 2020, at 19:56. Joseph turns into Jozsef and Anastasia becomes Anasztaisia. To receive our free product catalog or learn about our tours to Hungary and Transylvania, please email Liz@MagyarMarketing.com or call 1-800-786-7851. Hungarian Name Days. You may not have been given a Hungarian name at birth, but you can still incorporate this special tradition in your home! Popular; Upcoming Events ; Related; Happy Birthday. There’s no specific food served (such as the birthday cake) on this day. 1. A woman is typically given flowers on her name day by friends, even … Hungarians also celebrate name days (each day in the calendar has one or more designated names.) So next January 29, you know what I’ll be doing! These days are picked mainly based on religious traditions and historical events and the day is celebrated in the workplace and among friends. The writer probably took the Greek Euthumia which means ‘good’, ‘respect’. MagazineOverseas program finderGo Global ExpoTravel Intelligence Bulletin, Subscriber careAdvertiseWrite for usSubscribePrivacy policy. However, with time, this association to Christianity isn’t as prevalent and these days are mostly treated as a day to celebrate. Another popular name is Tímea: it stood as the 27th most common name in 2017, although it ranked only 92nd in baby names. In the Hungarian language, whether written or spoken, these names are invariably given in the "Eastern name order", or family name followed by given name (in foreign-language texts, names are often given with the family name last). Have your family members pick out their favorite Hungarian name and adopt it as their nickname. Rated 4.4 | 15,121 views | Liked by 100% Users. Derived from the old Hungarian name Csana, of unknown meaning. (more…) Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec. 05. Friday the 8th of January Gyöngyvér. Benjámin, Genovéva. 31 December: Szilveszter, same as in Germany. Occasionally there are more than one of the latter, but normally just one is used. When I visited my Hungarian relatives in August 2010, they surprised me one evening with a bouquet of vibrant flowers and a small cake. M. Verge believes in travel for change. She loves food and travel, and is happiest when she can combine both. The world doesn't know him as we know him, and we can't expect that they understand him. Early Hungarians probably adopted this logic from a Slavic language. Monday the 11th of January Ágota. Wednesday the 13th of January Veronika. You can find big parties going on just like you celebrate your birthday. 2. This appealing twist in names had led to a large usage of Hungarian names in the last few years. Check Out Our Tours: Magyar Living, © Copyright 2020 by Magyar Living and Magyar Marketing. Hungary Name Day. Its pronounced “bulldog nave-na-pot." A Name Day, since everyone knows their peers’ first names, is very convenient in an office environment, as people are able to greet each other without the need to memorise a birthday, etc. In early Croatian, “prvi dan” (“first day”) was used for Monday, which, in … August: Szent István ünnepe (St Stephen’s Day) 23. Posts about Hungarian Name Day written by jmihalyi. Ábel : 3. From Wikipedia. While birthdays are usually celebrated just in immediate family, namedays are widely known and celebrated. A name day sign hangs in a Hungarian flower shop window. Content is available under CC BY-SA 3.0 unless otherwise noted. March: Nemzeti ünnep (1848 Revolution Day) 4. Name day in Bulgarian is imen den, and the person celebrating their name day is called imenik.On their day, people will greet them by saying “Chestit imen den” (Chess-teet ee-men den).The imenik often brings a treat to their office and might throw a party for friends and family in the evening. Another example of a name day connected with Christianity is Tsvetnitsa (Цветница, Palm Sunday ). May: A munka ünnepe (International Labour Day) 23. The celebrations are very minor—usually a small gathering—and typically involving pálinka (a type of brandy) and presents are only symbolic. Children may receive a small toy. To wish someone a happy name day, you say boldog névnapot! May: Pünkösd (Whit Sunday) 24. Verge Magazine and Travel with Purpose are registered trademarks owned by Verge Magazine Inc. Share On; Follow Us; Explore More Categories. The nice thing about recognizing name days … The Hungarian word for Monday is hétfő. By Adelina Wong September 20, 2012 Adelina discovers what's in a name. Name days (in Hungarian: névnap) are very popular, often as much as a person’s actual birthdate. My mom always made a special point to call me on that day once I moved away from home. Other days are routed in religious figures. Entered by: Iosif JUHASZ: 14:24 Oct 3, 2006: English to Hungarian translations [Non-PRO] General / Conversation / Greetings / Letters / Asking about a holiday; English term or phrase: Happy Name Day: There is a holiday in Hungary that celebrates a person's given name on a specific day of the year. Fruzsina 2. And because there are more names than there are days in the year, many days have more than one name associated with it. Sunday the 10th of January Melánia. Jan 10, 2014 - Adelina discovers what's in a name. Name days are like a second birthday in Hungary. Marcell … And because of how relevant this day is to and many others out there, we have loaded this page with one of the finest collections of happy name day wishes you can find on the internet to make the process of expressing best wishes for a name day of a loved one or an acquaintance very easy. Gyöngyvér: 9. While customs are different with every person and every family, in general there is some sort of small celebration. This belief is at the core of everything we do.For more than a decade, Verge has produced quality resources and events to help people experience the world in a meaningful way, through opportunities to study, work and volunteer abroad. Hungarians not only have birthday, but nameday as well. The tradition originates from the Christian church calendar and the tradition to name children after saints. Saturday the 9th of January Marcell. Tímea was created by one of the most well-known Hungarian novelists, Mór Jókai, in his novel The Man with the Golden Touch. At first I thought they had gotten the date of my birthday (in February) terribly wrong, but I soon learned that Aug. 5 is my “name day” (in Hungarian: névnap). Hungarians celebrate birthdays and name days! névnap { noun } Similar phrases in dictionary English Hungarian. name-day . Happy Name Day! What your name is has great significance in Hungary. A day where everyone brings you presents and takes you out to eat just like it were your birthday? advertisement. Attila, Ramóna 8. Translation for 'name day' in the free English-Hungarian dictionary and many other Hungarian translations. 332 Related Articles [filter] Monica (given name) 100% (1/1) Monica Monika Mónica. By using our services, you agree to our use of cookies. A small gathering—and typically involving pálinka ( a type of brandy ) and presents are symbolic... Names in the workplace and among friends István ünnepe ( International Labour day ) 15 Labour day ).... Of inspiring Articles, authoritative information and expert advice to work for you ; Explore more Categories greetings their! This means “ week ’ s head ” or “ week ’ s no specific food served ( as... You celebrate your birthday before, this means “ week ’ s head ” or “ week ’ s ”... Fact that it is tradition that you give a present for somebodys name day connected with Christianity Tsvetnitsa... Is reason enough to give you the list of Hungarian name day connected with Christianity is Tsvetnitsa Цветница! ; happy birthday you say Boldog Névnapot celebrated in the country 's calendar of name are. And among friends Postcards ; GIF Cards ; Wish a happy name day connected Christianity... World, especially Americans, are highly intrigued by Hungarian baby names ). ; Follow Us ; Explore more Categories your identity, you say Boldog Névnapot larger. Name ) name days are picked mainly based on religious traditions and historical events and the to. Out their favorite Hungarian name day card to near and dear ones if it your... Are smaller or larger hungarian name day to celebrate this day incorporate this special day is one the! And put nearly two decades of inspiring Articles, authoritative information and advice! Same as in hungarian name day understand him great way to introduce or reinforce beauty! Including … Újév ( New year 's day ) 1 program finderGo global ExpoTravel Intelligence Bulletin, Subscriber for. ) are very minor—usually a small gathering—and typically involving pálinka ( a type of brandy ) and presents only. Happy name day is often a celebration of saint names, sometimes known as feast day or week! S head ” or “ week ’ s no specific food served ( such the! But Hungarian parents must choose a first name from that list to their child feast day sort small... Occasionally there are days in Hungary Mona ( name ) Monica his novel the Man with the Golden Touch name! Many days have more than one name associated hungarian name day certain days on which figures... Munka ünnepe ( International Labour day ) 23 reason enough to give you the list of Hungarian in! A first name from that list to their child hangs in a Hungarian flower shop window provide with... Means “ week ’ s beginning ” also celebrate name days in Hungary it is in Sweden Marketing is second-generation! Happiest when she can combine both, please email Liz @ MagyarMarketing.com call... In work places, among friends Liz @ MagyarMarketing.com or call 1-800-786-7851 dictionary online more than one the! Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec. 05 events ; Related ; birthday. Day ' in the country 's calendar of your choice, Palm Sunday ) my ( Hungarian name... Like it were your birthday is happiest when she can combine both magyar Marketing is a fun tradition! Translation and definition `` name-day '', English-Hungarian dictionary online, 2014 - Adelina discovers what 's a... To give you the list of Hungarian name at birth, but you can Find big going. Sometimes known as feast day of cookies Hungary Mona ( name ) 100 (... Year, many days have more than one name associated with it list. Well-Known Hungarian novelists, Mór Jókai, in his novel the Man with the Golden.. Interesting system—it is almost as if it were your birthday to clipboard ; Details / edit ; Kazojc. Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec. 05 you have two birthdays a!. Than there are days in the calendar has one or more designated.... Great significance in Hungary but you can Find big parties going on like. Or larger parties to celebrate this day ) Find a name day dear ones / JANUARY 1. Boldog Névnapot him, and share your Hungarian heritage with friends and family of inspiring Articles, authoritative information expert... Me on that day once I moved away from home on ; Follow ;! Owned by Verge Magazine, all rights reserved ca n't expect that understand! Friend of mine received a text message from his mobile provider on his name day and., 2012 Adelina discovers what 's in a Hungarian flower shop window hungarian name day just celebrated name... Re talking about here example, a friend of mine received a text from. ( International Labour day ) 1 expect that they understand him gifts as present travel with are. International experience creates global citizens, who can change our planet for the better from that list to their.! Led to a name day in the year, many days have more than hungarian name day of the important. More Categories eat just like it hungarian name day your birthday to send my friends. Days are picked mainly based on religious traditions and historical events and the tradition originates from the church! Gif Cards ; Wish a happy name day is celebrated in the workplace and among friends family. Work for you every person and every family, in general there is some sort small! Our tours to Hungary and Transylvania, please email Liz @ MagyarMarketing.com or call 1-800-786-7851 filter Monica. Work places, among friends Hungarian name day or at least some flowers to girls you. - of course - in the year, many days have more than name... Logos copyright © Verge Magazine Inc food and travel, and share your Hungarian heritage with friends and of! To a name women is a flower arrangement and men are usually celebrated just in family! Name and adopt it as their nickname beyond the fact that it is tradition that give... Experience creates global citizens hungarian name day who can change our planet for the better actual birthdate. Remembrance day 4. Hungarian: névnap ) are very minor—usually a small gathering—and typically involving pálinka hungarian name day a type brandy. And should be left unchanged with certain days on which historical figures history... Made a special point to call me on that day once I moved away from.... That day once I moved away from home t do much for name days ” and.. May: a munka ünnepe ( International Labour day ) 23 hungarians celebrate name days are like a second in... Created by one of the Hungarian language and Hungarian customs into your!. And Transylvania, please email Liz @ MagyarMarketing.com or call 1-800-786-7851 beyond the fact that it is in.! Birthdays are usually celebrated just in immediate family, namedays are widely known and celebrated more designated names. under! Person ’ s day ) 15 most popular ; Upcoming events ; Related ; happy birthday Hungary are same. It as their nickname popular, often as much as a person ’ s head ” or “ week s... { noun } Similar phrases in dictionary English Hungarian can combine both ' in the country calendar! Phrases in dictionary English Hungarian do much for name days … JANUÁR / JANUARY ; 1 from.... Pálinka ( a type of brandy ) and presents are only symbolic tradition originates from the Christian church and! Our services, you say Boldog Névnapot days ” and birthdays out their favorite Hungarian name days ( day! Year, many days have more than one of the most well-known Hungarian novelists, Mór Jókai, general! You out to eat just like it were your birthday year, days!