Check Out for Loose Ends. This will be the final sanding you have to do and it will provide you with a nice smooth finish you expected to get from the beginning. In the end, make sure you are able to follow the guidelines provided above and if you do so, you will have great success when it comes to sanding the floors in your home and anywhere else you need to get the job done. When you have your floors sanded and looking perfect, you can move towards the next steps of refinishing your hardwood floors. You can also look into industrial fans which help suction the fumes out of the building. EVAP stands for the Evaporative Emission Control System. When it comes to just about any tutorial you are going to read or watch, it’s going to be considerable easier for you to watch (a video attached down below) and learn from the tutorial if you can do some hands on work with it. There are two main points to remember about the random orbital sander, and that is to put it down at full speed and pick it up at full speed. If you do this, you will undoubtedly see scratches and marks that will be very difficult to remove when you start the refinishing process. How to Use Orbital Sanders to Sand Hardwood Floor Prepare the Needed Sandpaper. Copyright 2017-2020 by Tool Koo. This is why, with these sanders, you will not need to be concerned about the direction of the wood grain. With this guide in mind, you are going to have a much easier time when it comes to sanding the hardwood floors in your home and you will know exactly what you need to do. Workshopedia.com is reader-supported and fully independent. Make it look smart and professional and stand out from your peers! Your email address will not be published. You want to make sure you follow most of the information in this post because it is going to make your life much easier knowing exactly what you are doing. You could use plastic if you want but an old sheet will do the trick as well. Here is some helpful information to make sure this project is a successful one for you. A random orbital sander is a handheld power tool. What exactly is a random orbital sander, and how does it work? The random orbital sander is not as fast as a drum sander, but it is usually easier and cheaper to work with. How to Put a Chain Back on an Electric Chainsaw, Painting a Feature Wall – Comprehensive Guide, How To Make Your Home Office Look Professional, Tips For Sanding Hardwood Floors Without Doing Damage, Final Steps for Refinishing Hardwood Floors, Remove any nails or staples that may be left on the floor. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Keep the sander as level as possible at all times, and make sure you do this in the corners of the room as well. Required fields are marked *. After you have finished sanding the entire floor with the coarse grit, you will need to move onto the medium grit. I started this blog to help anyone who is interested in fixing things to learn their way around the different tools and to know how to perform different DIY tasks. Nail in all of the nails and remove any stables that might be left on the floor. Over the course of this tutorial, you’re going to learn a lot and you might find easier or simpler ways to get things done. Make sure that you have the doorways into other rooms blocked off with plastic. A long time ago when I was taught the wrong way to sand floors, we finished floors with the drum sander. Remove anything from the room, including furniture, rugs, and any other material. The smaller sander also allows you to reach spaces that your normal-sized sander can not … Once you finally finish sanding using all three of the different sandpaper grits, you can begin your cleanup by thoroughly cleaning the room with a vacuum and also wiping away all of the excess dust that might have been collected on the walls, fans and other fixtures in the room. Lucky for you, that’s exactly what I am going to do with this post and you will learn everything there is to know about an orbital sander when it comes to using one to sand hardwood floors. This means the last pass of sanding before you vacuum and start putting stain or lacquer down. When you get time, rent a drum sander, put 36 on and clean it off. Random orbital sanders are a favorite choice for refinishing hardwood floors because they tend to do very little damage; however, there is still a chance that damage can be done. When you get to this point in the process, it can make sense to have a handheld orbital sander in addition to the larger floor sander. As you can see, there is a lot of information you need to keep in mind when it comes to sanding hardwood floors when using an orbital sander. Wood floor refinishing can be a time-consuming and labor-intensive process. Hold the assembly in place with a pad holder, then sand the floor by sweeping the Orbiter over the boards until a layer is removed. Many people think of a random orbital sander as being similar to a belt sander. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Workshopedia.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Just sand the floor with 120, do the last pass with the edger, then start lacquering or even staining. You should work in straight rows going up and down, similar to mowing a lawn. It is a system built…. Sanding with an orbital sander is a three-step process and it will take three separate sanding sessions to get the floor you want. In addition to causing damage to your sander, these can cause damage to the floor as well. You never want to turn the sander on when it is on the floor, and you don’t want to pick it up when it’s made contact with the floor either. Your email address will not be published. The sanding blade on the bottom works in a random orbital way. How To Sand Hardwood Floors With An Orbital Sander. How to Refinish Kitchen Cabinets Like a Pro. Don’t push the sander too fast as you could end up causing a groove in the wood. Workshopedia.com is a place to share information and guides on various power tools and projects. Sand a hardwood floor with an Oreck Orbiter using Oreck sandscreen discs. I believe there is a handyman in all of us as long as you have the right tools. Start in the far corner of the room and work your way out. You will likely spend quite a bit of time getting to know your floors from your hands and knees. One of the first steps to refinish hardwood floors is the sanding process. Next, you can move onto the very last sanding application that will require a sandpaper that is very fine and is around 80 to 100 grit. I am very embarrassed to say this. Keep your speed consistent as you work with the sander. Step 1 Insert a 60 grit sandscreen disc under a brown scrub pad. I have been doing this for years and believe I am a master of this art. Make sure that you have a plan to address the entire room. A random orbital sander is often the best choice for homeowners looking to get involved in some wood floor refinishing. Tape thoroughly around the edges to ensure that no dust can sneak in. Follow our guide to painting the ultimate feature wall. Even if you already know how to sand hardwood floors, you might have an easier time doing so after reading this post because there are plenty of tips and tricks to help make it easier. If you have an orbital sander and you have no idea how to use it, then it is safe to say that the sander probably isn’t doing you much good and you’re probably hoping someone will teach you how to use it. The wood floor… Following the proper steps helps to make sure you don’t leave irreversible damage to your floors. If you do, you’ll want to have a way to write things down so having a pen or pencil with some paper handy can be really helpful. To begin the process, you should start with the coarse grit of around 30 to 40 grit as the coarse grit is going to help get up the initial layer of the floor to help give you the best results.