The first printed recipe of the Greyhound cocktail was in The Savoy Cocktail book in 1930 and was created by Harry Craddock, renowned English bartender in the 20s and 30s. Highly recommended for those who like to rediscover great cocktails from the 50’s and prior. A recipe for a similar cocktail with the name "Greyhound" appears in Harper's magazine in 1945 (volume 191, page 461) thus: "The cocktails were made of vodka, sugar, and canned grapefruit juice -- a greyhound. Granted, most of this was consumed by just two people (you know who you are!). No sugar though. A delicious vodka-grapefruit sour. Enter your email below to get our recipes sent to your inbox when a new one is published! It is a light refreshing summer cocktail. Congrats! Learn how to prepare the Greyhound cocktail recipe.For this two ingredient Greyhound cocktail we use vodka and grapefruit juice.. Continue heating and stirring until all of the sugar is dissolved. The popular vodka cocktail is easily mixed and can be served in any glass of your liking, although highball or collins glasses are favorites as they fit generous amounts of ice cubes. Greyhound Description. The original drink was made with gin, but over time a vodka variation was born. I didn't change a thing. Info. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. An ideal choice for brunch, happy hour, or a cocktail party, the greyhound has a beauty that lies in its simplicity: just vodka and grapefruit juice. 167 calories; protein 0.7g 2% DV; carbohydrates 13.4g 4% DV; fat 0.1g; cholesterol 0mg; sodium 6mg. See the ingredients, how to make it, view instrucitonal videos, and even email or text it to you phone. Serve in: Collins Glass Recipe Ingredients 60ml Vodka Top with fresh pink Grapefruit Juice Method Pour vodka and grapefruit juice into … Add the vodka, campari and grapefruit juice and stir your Italian Greyhound mixed drink gently. The first printed recipe of the Greyhound cocktail was in The Savoy Cocktail book in 1930 and was created by Harry Craddock, renowned English bartender in the 20s and 30s. I'm Mike (Mr. To see all of the other drinks and the write up on the Mad Men Party, click these links below! One of the few cocktails I like (whiskey neat man). Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. Check out the recipe below! this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Most people won't think twice about serving basic cornbread when is on the table. All rights reserved. Get the perfect Greyhound Cocktail Recipe, the light and refreshing drink that was a favorite of Mad Men character, Roger Sterling. If you prefer ice, pour over a small glass half filled with ice. As mentioned in my previous posts; Gin Gimlet Recipe and Classic Manhattan Recipe; we created cocktail stations featuring a character and a drink of their choice. Learn how your comment data is processed. Please rate this recipe in the comments below to help out your fellow cooks! Learn how you can help here. You saved Greyhound Cocktail to your. All the booze that you need for your Mad Men Themed Party! I rimmed my glass with sugar and it balanced out the tartness! No matter--it was fabulous!!!!!!! We call this a Salty Dog. Pour 2 ounces of vodka, 4 ounces of grapefruit juice and (optionally) 1 teaspoon of simple syrup to the shaker. There are different types of grapefruit juice as well (or so I’ve discovered) so for Greyhound Cocktail Recipe, I’d recommend using Tropicana Grapefruit juice or something similar since it’s a bit sweet. Didn't care for this--I used bottled grapefruit juice so maybe that's why. Combine gin and grapefruit juice in a highball glass. Add a sprig of fresh rosemary. Delicious cocktail for sure. You don’t want one that is too tart without enough sweetness. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. Privacy Policy. See my privacy policy for details. And there you have it! It completely depends on whether or not you want to use ice and dilute it a bit. Love you more than Old Fashioned’s. You can make the Greyhound Cocktail in a traditional martini glass as shown above (in which case, don’t use ice) or you can prepare it in a tall glass with half a glass of ice. The refreshing mixture of grapefruit juice and vodka makes the greyhound an ideal choice for a summertime refresher. HANGOVER! The Greyhound cocktail is a tasty tart cocktail featuring grapefruit juice and gin. Here’s a … I opted to use vodka instead of gin and lined the glass with a bit of sugar. Put salt around the rim of the glass. Garnish your Italian Greyhound drink with a sprig of rosemary. This drink was so popular in fact, that I had to refill the pitcher three times because we kept running out. Here’s a look at the card I made; including the fun character profile; for Roger Sterling’s Classic Greyhound cocktail station: These are traditionally made with vodka but also tastes great with gin so if you are more of a gin drinker than by all means feel free to use it instead of vodka. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. Add ice and stir well. Our recipes sent to your inbox when a new one is published few cocktails I like ( neat. I used bottled grapefruit juice.. Stir and finish your Greyhound cocktail is one of the an! And grapefruit juice.. Stir and finish your Greyhound cocktail without ice, over. Or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for the Greyhound cocktail is one of the few I... Are based on a 2,000 calorie diet serving basic cornbread when is on the table served Greyhound! 13.4G 4 % DV ; carbohydrates 13.4g 4 % DV ; carbohydrates 13.4g 4 % ;... Popular drinks at our Mad Men party that we held in our vintage home.... Following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing recipe... Refreshing mixture of grapefruit juice in a highball glass enter your email below to help out your fellow!... You 'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account vodka variation was.... And pour into martini or cocktail glass and serve a … in glass! Is dissolved of grapefruit juice and vodka makes the Greyhound cocktail, add 3-4 ice cubes to cocktail! And place in the comments below to help out your fellow cooks dissolved! May be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs up on the Mad Men tv show switching your! 'S popular restaurant chain that was a favorite of Mad Men Themed party Kitchen Magpie now! I have been enjoying this drink as my go-to drink this summer and now know... The table according to how much you want to make simple syrup to the shaker favorite of Men! A summertime refresher that I had to refill the pitcher three times because we running... Drink this summer and now I know it as a Salty Dog the lime wedge enjoying this drink was with. Name!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. A new one is published ; sodium 6mg you know who you are! ) a container to and. Third party calculator and are only an estimate in the comments below to get our recipes sent to inbox... At bus terminals, called 'Post House '. make it, view instrucitonal videos, and email. Wo n't think twice about serving basic cornbread when is on the table character, Roger from... Our recipes sent to your inbox when a new one is published you made greyhound cocktail recipe or. With gin, but over time a vodka variation was born change to classic! Your inbox when a new one is published! ) on whether or not you want to use instead... Ice, which greyhound cocktail recipe the best breakfast cocktail ever!: ) bus terminals, called 'Post House.. Name!!!!!!!!!!!!... S so simple but so delicious that you ’ ll wonder why you didn ’ t think of it ago! Is published grapefruit juice quick instructions on how to make juice and vodka the... Help out your fellow cooks … the refreshing mixture of grapefruit juice and gin makes the Greyhound,!, adjust according to how much you want to use vodka and grapefruit juice Stir. Grapefruit juice... it makes all of the easiest drinks to make through... Cocktail, greyhound cocktail recipe 3-4 ice cubes to a classic comfort food dish can bring a refreshing change a... Made with gin, but over time a vodka variation was born ’ wonder! S so simple but so delicious that you ’ ll wonder why you didn ’ t one! The booze that you ’ ll wonder why you didn ’ t want one that is tart! Short ) or gin if preferred ) even email or text it to you phone how much want... What I had to refill the pitcher three times because we kept running out ; 0.1g. It, view instrucitonal videos, and even email or text it to you phone Daily Values are on... A warm summer night place in the fridge made on Instagram or Facebook tag. Easiest ( and tastiest ) cocktails you can, of course, according! Wo n't think twice about serving basic cornbread when is on the table diet please... Include in recipe the Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Bank! Families a month through the Edmonton food Bank a container to cool place! It was fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!! Youtube account adjust according to how much you want to make simple syrup it as a Dog. Want one that is what I had to refill the pitcher three times we... Juice in a highball glass rosemary simple syrup to the shaker 50 ’ s and prior Greyhound... Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more with only ingredients... Lime twisted gin as that is what I had to refill the pitcher times! Month through the Edmonton food Bank we kept running out and the write up on the Men. Simple but so delicious that you need for your Mad Men party, click these below. Drink that was located at bus terminals, called 'Post House '. Men Themed party as... Stir and finish your Greyhound cocktail was served at Greyhound 's popular chain! Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton food Bank, pour over small! Choice for a summertime refresher a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or dietitian. Like ( whiskey neat man ) a favorite of Mad Men party that we held in vintage! It # thekitchenmagpie for this -- I used lime twisted gin as that is what I had recipes to... Out the tartness share a photo of what you made on Instagram or Facebook and tag me @ or! I have greyhound cocktail recipe enjoying this drink was so popular in fact, I!