Jump to Day 2: Haynach Lakes Campsite to Summerland Park Campsite Next, the trail leads into the aptly named Big Meadows. We are getting everything together to get the permit and I just had one more quick question. We hiked 7.5 miles to North Inlet Junction and stayed the night. There is a theory that the direction changes at the Continental Divide.-> False, the direction in which the water goes down the drains actually changes along the equator!.12. The last one was a little sketchy but manageable if you take your time. Hi Kelly – sorry, I do not have a full gpx file for this route. Keeping maps and waypoints up to date and available to users is not without substantial costs. After about another mile or so, there start to more and more snow on the ground. This past week we started at the North Inlet and performed in a counter clockwise traverse. Fall colors just started showing in full the second day. Water sources abundant when below the treeline, every campsite appeared to have good water access and most of the trail is alongside rivers. The Continental Divide Trail (CDT) passes directly through the Town of Grand Lake, making it the ideal place to start a CDT adventure or to resupply on a longer journey. The trail is well marked and passed through several different types of topography and fauna. We hiked this Labor Day 9/7, parked outside state park and took our park pass with us just in case, though we didn't see any rangers on the trail during our hike. (which is full of gorgeous views) but again got to camp too early. This was a fantastic loop, great for the inexperienced backpacker. Much more rewarding from this perspective – wilderness with no path, no people, no restrictions. In our case, we parked at the Green Mountain trailhead, just past the RMNP Kawuneeche visitor center … Saw a beautiful bull elk with antlers near big meadows and moose near our porcupine campsite. I definitely want to head up there again when the wind isn't quite so bad. This was by far the coolest loop I’ve ever done we did it over 3 days and 2 nights at the end of June so there was still some snow in areas but it was unreal. Rocky Mountain National Park Go counterclockwise on this 10.2-mile loop touring the rocky cliffs and odd-shaped boulders of Lumpy Ridge to an alpine lake and several campsites in Rocky Mountain National Park. You get some nice views of the area and it is all downhill. Thank you. As far as snow, there was a lot of snow above bear lake in June of 2017 so we didn’t make it past the 2nd lake. I’m worried about acclimating to the high altitudes, especially since the first day is a climb. That isn't usual for Rocky Mountain but mostly the storm season has ended. It’s tough enough that you feel tired, but does not burn you out or anything. Tonohutu also has quite a bit of elevation gain going from south to north. Here is the link to the Nat Geo map at REI if anyone is interested: http://bit.ly/2AMcQxv. It runs between the Continental Divide and Great Basin Divide in Wyoming. Once you reach the summit, all the day hikers turn around and you continue and will see very few people for the next 10ish miles. Hope that helps! Wildland Trekking: Continental Divide Loop in Rocky Mountain NP - See 66 traveler reviews, 68 candid photos, and great deals for Rocky Mountain National Park, CO, at Tripadvisor. :) There are plenty of state forests and other parks with more relaxed rules or no permit system if that's what you're looking for. You can take the Hiker shuttle too and really cut down on driving, but that makes the ride quite a bit longer. This section of the trail had some wildflowers which provided nice color. The Ranger immediately told us that we should have started our hike an hour earlier and said we were likely to get stuck on Flattop Mountain in the afternoon when thunderstorms are likely. I started at 430 and still got a few storms above treeline. Fairly flat with the only incline being about 5 miles up to Flattop mountain. I think there is likely to be snow at most of the campsites and probably on much of the trail (except at the low elevation sections). The weather can be unpredictable but leave early and beat the storms! Once we started the decline there were 4 snow patches to cross. After a couple miles we came across a sign for the Summerland Park campsite. It was very overcast, windy and cold but when we hit the summit it was patchy clouds and beautiful. As far as I know, Tetons and Yellowstone have similar restrictions as Rocky. 9/16-9/20 2020. We enjoyed the short day though and had a good time relaxing at our campsite. The hike begins with a short flat section as you walk by Bear Lake. The ROMO camp site info estimates how long it takes to get to a site and they are sooo off. 28 Oct 2018. In fact, I was interrogated pretty heavily by the wilderness office when applying for my permit to ensure I had enough mountaineering experience to navigate the Divide ridge and switchback areas of the loop. I'm really happy with our itinerary. There’s a lot of switch backs and elevation gain on this day so start early. Trip video on YouTube “Wild with Windjammer.” Did this trip over 2 nights, camping at Renegade and North Inlet Falls. It is absolutely stunning. I think people need to be more honest about actually hiking the full trail instead of saying they did then giving a made up story about hiking the trail C,Mon Man! Jump to Day 5: Pine Marten Campsite to Bear Lake Trailhead. We walked south through dead trees to find another meadow with a stream and pond. (pictured: The dead trees actually provided a nice contrast in color (pictured: Jump to Day 1: Bear Lake Trailhead to Haynach Lakes Campsite, Jump to Day 2: Haynach Lakes Campsite to Summerland Park Campsite, Jump to Day 3: Summerland Park Campsite to Pine Marten Campsite, Jump to Day 4: Pine Marten Campsite to Lake Nokoni and Lake Nanita, Jump to Day 5: Pine Marten Campsite to Bear Lake Trailhead, adidas Outdoor Terrex Fast R Gore-Tex Shoe, Minus33 Merino Wool Kancamagus Midweight Bottom, Minus33 Merino Wool Chocorua Midweight Crew, Pendleton Long Sleeve Classic-Fit Board Shirt, Trails Illustrated Rocky Mountain topographic map, Black Diamond Trail Ergo Cork Trekking Poles, Cascade Mountain Tech Quick Lock Trekking Poles, https://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/site_details.htm, 11 Incredibly Scenic Trails for Backpacking in Colorado You Can't Miss, High resolution USGS topographic map download links, Links to buy Trails Illustrated Topographic map (, a quick drying long sleeve hiking shirt (, small amount of duct tape for gear repairs, small plastic water bottles filled with whisky . Jump to Day 1: Bear Lake Trailhead to Haynach Lakes Campsite Haynach Lake is also uphill from camp but worth the effort. Spanning from Cape Prince of Wales in Alaska, down to the Rockies of Colorado, and into Central America and eventually ending in Andes of South America – the Continental Divide of the Americas is the longest continental divide in the world.