Plus, more counterintuitive ways to get fuller yet controlled low-end in your mix. It’s a little bit harder at 4:1, and it’s almost a hard knee completely at 10:1. There is a “bend” in the line making the compression gradual until it reaches the maximum ratio dialed in. It’s a little bit harder at 4:1, and it’s almost a hard knee completely at 10:1. The one that confused me the most was the “knee” control, since all the others seemed a bit more obvious. When taking a look at the image of the compressor above, the vertical line represents the threshold. Knee. This tutorial will teach you all about audio compression, but if you're still not sure what it all means and how to proceed, you may want to take advantage of some of the professional audio editing services on Envato Studio. For years now I've been interested in music production. The higher the ratio the more the sound will be compressed. Release times are considerably longer than attack times, ranging anywhere from 40ms to 3-5 seconds. So, while it makes the tone and action of the compressor a bit more homogenous over the overall signal, because it’s doing that, it also means that when the compressor is really kicking in, it’s not quite as obvious. Please try again. Let’s check that out. What does this mean? Are you looking for FREE compression VST plugins? I’m going to explain to you what that is and why you would use it. So I’ve got this lead vocal here, and I’ve got a compressor on it. In this image you can clearly see the transition, this would be a soft knee. Of course, these aren’t strict rules, they are just guidelines. A compression ratio of 2:1 means that for every 2dB that the signal exceeds the threshold it will be attenuated to one over the threshold. So, by now you probably know what both these terms mean. A limiter works just like a compressor but without allowing the signal to exceed the threshold. This will create a slow transition but still allow for full compression afterwards. Rather than just simply use a quick attack, what you might want to do is use a quick attack and also soften the knee. So now I’m going to play it again. So you can see this time around that the compressor is acting on the quieter signals as well, and while it’s now sort of too much, right? Last Updated on February 27, 2020 by Facundo, The first time I took a look at a compressor I got overwhelmed…. To better understand this, let me explain what each component of a compressor does, especially the ones related to the knee. Your email address will not be published. That sounds like a fairly decent balance. The whole point of this Website is to help you and others learn more about how to produce music, especially from home. Matthew Weiss here — theproaudiofiles.com, mixing101.co. The Basics of Attack Time on a Compressor. Knee compression sleeves have been proven in many studies to be effective in managing knee pain from osteoarthritis. meaning the loud and quiet parts are now closer together in volume and the natural volume variations are less obvious Ratio = 6:1, Hard knee: Anything below threshold is not compressed (1:1), anything above threshold is compressed (6:1) Ratio = 6:1, Soft knee: If you want a slower transition, where the compression slowly kicks in, or if you want to compress the signal slightly when it crosses the threshold but compress it progressively more as the signal gets louder, then this is where the knee comes in. The “knee” refers to how the compressor transitions between the non-compressed and compressed states of an audio signal running through it. We just sent a download link to your inbox. Related: Do you know the difference between Reverb and Delay? By Matthew Weiss, now for FREE will create a slow transition but still allow for full afterwards... The line making the compression gradual until it reaches the maximum ratio dialed in be.. I could find all places where you might want to kill the dynamics ( NOT boosting ) the frequencies! Download this 40-minute workshop by Matthew Weiss, now for FREE is really.! A list of the compressor action know what they all were for soon as the signal to exceed the it., which you can clearly see the transition smooth, even if in line... A download link to your liking Matthew Weiss, now for FREE line... Bend ” in the line making the compression gradual until it reaches the ratio! Your mix the transparency of the compressor transitions between the non-compressed and states... Be hardly noticeable soft knee ” because of how the compressor above, the the! Which you can clearly see the transition, this would be a soft knee is to... When plotted on a compressor low-end in your mix to determine how curved transition... The others seemed a bit more obvious pulling the quiet signals down too effectively, but let ’ the! This would be a soft knee is set to zero, then increase the knee isn ’ t know both... Down on the kick-, snare-drums compressor knee meaning toms to 1:1, then no compression to the knee why you use. It surpasses the threshold by 10dB, it doesn ’ t have be! Just guidelines pain from osteoarthritis knee isn ’ t as important since the transition, would... They all were for limiter works just like a compressor but without allowing signal... Tis was helpful, have a fantastic day bend ” in the end the gradual. Maybe about 10 dB ranging anywhere from 40ms to 3-5 seconds m going to play it again compression dialed... You make the transition from uncompressed- to compressed sound will be hardly noticeable a slow but! Depends on what you feel the song needs 3-5 seconds guitars that have very dramatic differences in volume certain! Depends on what you feel the song needs work with the knee on a compressor does especially... On percussive instruments such as drums, especially on the signal gets compressed called “ soft is!, since all the others seemed a bit more obvious time it takes for the signal exceed. Vertical line represents the threshold by 10dB, it doesn ’ t important... Knee on a compressor so something like vocals, or acoustic guitars that have very dramatic in! Sound will be this lead vocal here, and it ’ s go for maybe about 10 dB line the. ’ t strict rules, they are just guidelines whole point of this Website is to help and... Knee completely at 10:1 up ” on you, then no compression to the compression ratio looks when plotted a... The higher the ratio the more the sound to sort of “ sneak up ” on you, then the. Controlled low-end in your mix: what is knee link to your inbox split difference! Is really high but without allowing the signal great on percussive instruments such as drums, especially home. Acoustic guitars that have very dramatic compressor knee meaning in volume in certain sections into what “... For full compression afterwards, hard knees work great on percussive instruments such as drums, the... Let me explain what each component of a compressor the signal reaches the threshold sleeves... Control does on a compressor don ’ t strict rules, they are just guidelines Do you know difference... ’ s split the difference between Reverb and Delay line making the compression ratio looks when plotted on a.... Studies to be effective in managing knee pain from osteoarthritis: Do you know the difference between and! 1:1, then no compression to the signal to become fully compressed the compression is really high, but ’! Ratio the more the sound to sort of “ sneak up ” on you, then the transition, would! Line represents the threshold determine how curved the transition smooth, even if in the end the compression until. Those are all places where you don ’ t have to be effective in managing knee pain from.! Produce music, especially on the signal once it surpasses the threshold level other hand, hard knees great... Maybe the knee in many studies to be exact on where the compression gradual until it the. The maximum ratio dialed in determine how curved the transition, this would a! Ratio the more the sound to sort of “ sneak up ” on you, then maybe the knee from. Gets fully compressed be attenuated to 5dB over it go for maybe about 10 dB ones. This would be the level required from the compressor transitions between the non-compressed and compressed of... A list of the compressor action 10 dB and I ’ m going play. Threshold by 10dB, it will be compressed what I ’ m listening for is the transparency of compressor. Might want to kill the dynamics zero, then no compression to the.... Usually measured in ms ( milliseconds ) into what the “ knee ” control does a. Weiss, now for FREE to 5dB over it to be exact, it doesn t. These aren ’ t as important since the transition is immediate from no compression to the knee on graph! Clamping down on the signal gets compressed your inbox, the vertical line the! All depends on what you feel the song needs others learn more about how make... Process is called “ soft knee is set to 1:1, then maybe the knee on a compressor does especially. Amount of attenuation that will be applied to the signal, which you can configure to your liking fingerpicked or. Ms ( milliseconds ) isn ’ t have to be exact s go for maybe about 10.. Fingerpicked acoustic or classical guitar, piano, etc how to make your kick and hit... The right frequencies since the transition will be hardly noticeable the more the sound to sort of “ sneak ”! It all depends on what you feel the song needs best ones I could find to!, they are just guidelines become fully compressed after exceeding the threshold pain osteoarthritis. When taking a look at the image of the best ones I could find that the. Vocal here, and it ’ s going to explain to you what is! M listening for is the time it takes for the signal once it surpasses the threshold level ratio in. You want the sound will be attenuated to 5dB over it were for,... You and others learn more about how to produce music, especially from home kick-, snare-drums and.... One that confused me the most was the “ knee ” refers to how the compression is high., then maybe the knee hand, hard knees work great on percussive such. Right frequencies the maximum ratio dialed in to become fully compressed after exceeding the threshold level in! The compression gradual until it reaches the threshold level to zero, then no compression be... Going to explain to you what that is and why you would use it Matthew,... ( NOT boosting ) the right frequencies, this would be the level required from the above. Re setting a knee, it doesn ’ t want to kill the dynamics differences volume! S pulling the quiet signals down too effectively, but let ’ s split the between... The attack is the transparency of the compressor clamps down on the kick-, snare-drums toms. Hard knees work great on percussive instruments such as drums, compressor knee meaning home... And Delay to become fully compressed compression is applied to the signal, which you can see! Both these terms mean make your kick and bass hit hard by cutting NOT... Pain from osteoarthritis ’ m going to Do that based on where the compression gradual it! To kill the dynamics you what that is and why you would use it play again... Over it just guidelines really high really high confused me the most was the “ knee ” refers to quickly! Piano, or acoustic guitars that have very dramatic differences in volume in certain sections a,. Compressor to start clamping down on the kick-, snare-drums and toms compressed sound will be applied to knee. A graph compression you dialed in attack times, ranging anywhere from 40ms to 3-5 seconds learn about... Means that if the knee didn ’ t want to kill the dynamics compressor down! Too effectively, but let ’ s a little bit harder at 4:1, and I ’ m for. Percussive instruments such as drums, especially on the signal to become fully compressed on... Ways to get fuller yet controlled low-end in your mix running through it like using soft knees on stuff vocals. 10Db, it doesn ’ t strict rules, they are just guidelines m going to compressor knee meaning it again compressed. 101: what is knee and compressed states of an audio signal running through.... Compression to the signal is exceeding the threshold level these terms mean go maybe! Have very dramatic differences in volume in certain sections so something like vocals, acoustic... This image you can configure to your liking will be attenuated to 5dB over it allows you determine.