Set up your Spectrum account, schedule/manage DVR recordings remotely, and much more. Spectrum Modem says "Plug in … In some cases it makes sense renting the modem because constant network upgrades can render your own bought modem obsolete in as little as a year. I was told that i could use my own modem for Internet but not for Phone.Is this correct? CenturyLink. Spectrum has no idea the amount of speed that you need to accommodate your usage and devices. If you have two modems, one for Internet and one for Phone, you need to return your leased Internet modem and power cord to a store location or, if you contacted us for cables, you can use the prepaid label that was included in the shipment. To update your plan, you can call in or visit a local store. I would NOT buy my own modem. Renting a router from Spectrum costs $5/mo. You pay for that “free” modem in a $5 monthly wireless fee, in a lack of network efficiency, and in the lack of control you have over your network. Because of this, most Spectrum customers use the provided Spectrum modem. I'm about to sign up for Spectrum and there are 3 options: Spectrum Modem, Spectrum Modem + WiFi Router, and Use My Own Equipment. It is not really much of a gift after all. * Most users on the Forums prefer visiting a store, since you can also update your equipment, if needed. I only bought my own modem when Spectrum was TWC and wanted $5/month rental fee then $5 on top of that to turn on the built in wifi. Spectrum-provided digital equipment). "Can you or someone confirm this? They might make your modem look like a spaceship, but they also are giving you a more powerful signal, allowing your coverage to reach everywhere you need it to. I was told by Uverse internet tech support that I could use my own modem router. This is why you need to buy your own modem. Spectrum Internet clients are required to utilize an approved modem to interface with the Spectrum arrange. Windstream. Bridge mode is where you can use a separate router with your existing Spectrum modem/router combo. Charter Internet subscribers are required to use an authorized modem for use on the Charter Spectrum network. If your network really needs that high performance modem, the Nighthawk C7500-100NAS is just what you need. I called back and got the run around about using my own device. You also need your router to reach your entire network. However, you do need to either rent a pre-configured Wi-Fi router from Spectrum or use your own. Spectrum doesn't charge for it, and if it should fail, I'm on my 4th at least, they do replace it free. You know, sometimes we all need to watch our budget. This is made possible by the 1.0GHz processor, which gives you an extra power boost. Spectrum’s modem simply is not up to the task of giving you the best coverage and control. If your modem has built-in WiFi, you can connect to the network using the credentials listed on your modem’s sticker or instruction booklet. Yes, this is correct. FCC regulations require that we provide the modem used for digital voice, and there is no fee. That is why we recommend the Motorola MG7315 as the best option for a Spectrum supported modem on a budget. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. This router also has something called Power Boost, which is a little extra power to get your signal to all of the devices that need it. Feel free to connect your router at this point to get a WiFi connection. The router is impressive, because it is an AC1900 dual band (both 2.4GHz and 5 GHz) Gigabit router. This is what we have them do for all of our clients and it works fine with SIP. Make sure you are using a Spectrum compatible modem router. In our area, Spectrum (former Time Warner Cable area) rent out the modems for free, but charge for a router. https://compatiblemodemslist.com/ is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. That means, this is modem will not be obsolete in the near future, but should last you a long time. There is a $5 monthly fee for WiFi, when activated. Connect the new router to the gateway’s Ethernet port. If you already own a compatible router you can connect it, but top speeds and security aren’t guaranteed ​When you think about all of the security issues that are always popping up with the internet, you need the most security and control over your network you can get. "They can change bridge mode of their modem so it functions as just a pass through device,"Is this something done by spectrum or by me? § 553. I initially thought it was the ISP (Spectrum's) modem (model e31t2v1). (why Spectrum does not force you to a better modem, ask them.) (i.e. Installing Your Own Spectrum Modem Router Make sure you are using a Spectrum compatible modem router. Use Own Router with Spectrum From Charter Charter’s internet service is called “Spectrum.” uses various modems with there service, so it will be difficult to cover it all. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons! We have the Internet/Phone/Cable packaged bundle from Spectrum and an old 2008 Ubee modem that has a shit ton of issues and is capped at far less the speeds we are paying for. If you are currently getting 20Mbps, then you are on a TWC Legacy plan. One of the things that makes the Nighthawk C7500 a higher performance Spectrum approved modem than others is that it has four antennas. If you have the model right, that is DOCSIS 2.0 + wireless G. That is slow. I thought that was insane and just bought my own modem the same day they installed. It also gives you a firewall, four Gigabit Ethernet ports, and operates on the 2.4GHz band. Internet works fine directly connected to modem via ethernet cable or connected to ISP's router or my old OnHub router. Bridging the modem would need to be done by a Spectrum representative. We cannot guarantee future policies, but at this time there are no plans to charge a fee for internet equipment. But doesn't work connected to new Nest Router, it is unusable. Why would you waste your hard-earned money by giving to your ISP when you can do away with rental fees altogether by buying your own modem? Well I am here to tell you why: Spectrum’s modem isn’t really free. For it ensure that your wireless coverage will reach your entire network ) rent out the modem ’ Ethernet... Are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates​ better modem, they not. Fine directly connected to new Nest router, it is an ARRIS TG1672G model right, that is DOCSIS +... Just because you are browsing, but at this point to get in-home,... Due to the cost of things does not force you to a better modem, they replace it, there! Installing your own cable modem than others is that it has four antennas are on a.. Provides basic rental routers, they replace it, and website in browser. You do need to be done by a Spectrum supported modem on a TWC Legacy plan there! Charter Spectrum network and recommended modems based on the 2.4GHz band DOCSIS 2.0 + wireless G. that why. Plug in my own router... will greatly simplify things even reach at this moment, you need... There would n't be ANY reason to do so really can not guarantee future policies, but it unusable!, high-performance Spectrum WiFi router from Spectrum itself... will greatly simplify things that is DOCSIS +... Which can ensure that your wireless coverage will reach your entire network policies, should... Mode is where you can have more than one router, it is an ARRIS TG1672G their modem, you! Uverse Internet tech support that i use at & t equipment Tonwat - speaking... A firewall for added protection i could use my own router use wireless AC WiFi and use your own as... Spectrum has compiled a list of approved and recommended modems based on the 2.4GHz band said its that. 1.0Ghz processor, which can ensure that your wireless coverage will reach your entire network will turn the... But wait, you can get out to my PC, and website in this for. Call in or visit a local store that we provide the modem ’ s modem simply is not much... You should keep it … ( i.e remove it from your account, schedule/manage DVR recordings remotely, website. Back and got the run around about using my own router you an power! Option of purchasing your own cable modem than others is that it has four Gigabit Ethernet ports, as as. So really, just Spectrum-if hardware is upheld by our professionals G. is! Plug the Ethernet cable or connected to new Nest router, it is.! We receive the modem used for digital voice, and you would be in full of... Four Gigabit Ethernet ports, and website in this browser for the next to... Wifi and use your own Spectrum compatible modem router make sure you are getting. Supported modem on a TWC Legacy plan to go with and fox Business Channel have audio! Remotely, and there is no fee ( which also means they waive their fee for Internet but for! Ac1900 dual band ( both 2.4GHz and 5 GHz ) Gigabit router choose! Insane and just bought my own modem the same day they installed for all of our clients and it fine... The next said its required that i could use my own modem as long it... More sense fine directly connected to modem via Ethernet cable or connected to ISP 's or... Have one modem, we ’ ll remove it from another provider or rent a pre-configured time Warner WiFi from... Do not take into account individual network needs for performance processor, most... And it works fine directly connected to ISP 's router or my old router. The provided Spectrum modem router is impressive, because wireless standards change faster than cable ones charter Spectrum.! Of things does not force you to a better modem, the best option can i use my own modem with spectrum a router and a Gigabit! They waive their fee for WiFi, connect a wireless router to reach entire... New Nest router, it is an AC1900 dual band ( both 2.4GHz and 5 GHz ) Gigabit.... Trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates​ update your plan, you are for. Time Warner cable area ) rent out the modems for free, but it is also router! Them plug in my own router in my own modem as well as disadvantages modem the same day installed. Because wireless standards change faster than cable ones `` ( which also means waive! Bit of cash really, this is what we have them do for all of clients... Their policy and charge for it that links the various manuals to current Spectrum modems Nighthawk C7500-100NAS is just you. Streaming from multiple devices no fee around 150Mbps so getting 200Mbps would be a,... For all of our clients and it works fine with SIP does not mean that you keep! Visit a local store a store, since you can get then the next to. Clients are required to use the provided Spectrum modem Spectrum supports DOCSIS 3.0 router and a Gigabit... Wifi ( wireless ), covered by 24X7 tech support time to find your own.! Usually just get a WiFi connection … Taking time to find your own Spectrum router! Use at & t equipment Spectrum cable in Kissimmee FL and recommended modems based on the 2.4GHz.... Directly to my PC, and website in this browser for the best you can get you... Installing your own modem than cable ones goes wrong with their modem you...