The two fungal species may weave into a single structure, but remain genetically distinct while partnering with the algae. 1328 6th St., #2 When they’re wet, as the lichens around the lake are, they form little rosettes with yellow-orange surfaces. Sign up today: Sponsored by East Bay Regional Park District. Though nitrogen is a fertilizer, it’s also a pollutant, and some species love it, others not so much. I successfully do not drop the lichen in my astonishment, though it’s a near thing. I see it once, in researching this story, when naturalist Morgan Evans, a former student naturalist aide at Tilden Nature Area in the East Bay hills, removes it from her backpack and spreads it out. California Lichen Socitey (CALS) Most of the cells in your body—save some nerve cells—turn over in the course of your lifetime. It’s hard to know precisely what species a lichen is without a hand lens or, in many cases, chemicals or a microscope, because what distinguishes different types of lichen are very tiny structures. A lichenologist (Kerry Knudson in California) in the field using a hand-lens to identify a lichen. For instance, not all the nutrients I absorb are due to my own digestion. Please help us keep this unique regional magazine thriving, and support the ecosystem we’ve built around it, by subscribing today. I expect it about never, except in the case of carnivorous plants. Once I’m home, this lichen immediately attracts the attention of my six-month-old kitten. Its outer surface is the cortex, where filaments of the fungus are packed densely to keep other organisms and the elements out. Lichen communities in zones like this tend toward the bright orange Xanthoria, the sunburst lichens, and other nitrogen-friendly types. At some point, though, the takeover is complete and Trebouxia irregularis is replaced by our Diploschistes’s preferred algal partner, Trebouxia showmannii. Oh, they are both, until it comes to the taxonomy. Across geographies and epochs, most lichens like to grow on stable surfaces they can adhere to—wood, rocks, cement. As of January 1, 2016, California will be the first state ever to designate a lichen as a state symbol. The original list was published in the Bulletin. Red List of California Lichens: an interactive forum for assembling and maintaining a list of rare and endangered California lichens. However! Her interest in lichens is an extension of that, she says. Once the fungus reproduces, it creates fungal spores from the disks, cups, bumps, dots, and squiggles that we all can see covering the thallus. a field guide to california lichens: sharnoff, stephen lichens are especially abundant and varied in california, where climates range from temperate rainforests to arid deserts. Share your love of Bay Area nature with a Bay Nature gift subscription and save over 30%! It still looks familiar, and when I match it up with photos I see why. A genetic analysis showed that the two versions of the fungus are not separate species. A fungus that, remember, occasionally sticks threads into its so-called partner, to more easily soak up nutrients. Today here in Tilden, we have a hand lens, laminated papers, and a small guidebook from the California Lichen Society, and we’re going to do our best. The composition of a lichen community shifts in response to pollution levels. A group of botanists on … Many people suffer from diarrhea as a result of their lost gut bacteria, since they suddenly can’t process food as well; worse, without our helpers around, our guts become better homes for harmful bacteria like Clostridium difficile (also known as C. diff). Evans and I will see all three in the Tilden Nature Area. Yes, right? Farther on we see what may be a Ramalina lichen of indeterminate species, which looks like miniature green threads sprouting bushily from a tree branch. You can usually at least get to genus this way. Lichens can be thought of as air quality indicators. Deliniating southern California from all of California refines the species which are so unique and allows for better understanding of the lichens here. Take Diploschistes muscorum, for instance: It’s a parasitic lichen, and it starts its development on a Cladonia lichen, gradually replacing Cladonia filaments by growing over them and sucking energy from their algal partner, Trebouxia irregularis. Plenty of the cells in and around my body that allow me to operate aren’t my cells at all. If the Green Stuff in the California Trees Is Not Spanish Moss, What Is It? The report also indicated that the San Francisco Bay Area is the second-worst hot spot in the Central Valley monitoring area (right behind the San Joaquin Valley); 8 to 9 kilograms of nitrogen (per hectare per year) are deposited through rain and runoff in the Bay every year; the nitrogen critical load for lichens is 3.1 kg/ha/yr. Evans is a pleasant and patient woman, whose true love is fungi. The color changes, becoming a darker green—the photobiont coming back to life!—and the lichen itself sort of uncrumples. I have many bacteria—and some fungi—in what’s called my microbiota, and they’re useful for my continued health. Lace lichen, Ramalina menziesii, is easily recognized. I gently replace it on my bookshelf. But some people have absorbed a twin in the womb—we know this because they carry the absorbed twin’s genetic material. Counties include from San Luis Obispo, Bakersfield and San Bernadino counties and all counties south of these to the border of Mexico, Nevada and Arizona. Lace lichen joins the California poppy as the state flower and the grizzly bear as the state animal. Though photobionts may live free of their keepers—and some do in Tilden, I learn—the fungus’ survival depends on the photobiont. Introducing lace lichen as the California State Lichen! “You’ve got everything on these rocks,” Evans says, clearly delighted. Up … The damndest thing happens: The lichen begins to move. It is pale green and dangles in strips from trees. Lace lichen can grow as long as a meter, and it has a netted structure that looks, to me at least, more like fishnet stockings than lace. And below that is the medulla—fungal filaments again; it’s not as dense here, probably to let air circulate. I do not mean to denigrate the lichen’s status as a weird compound organism; it’s just that everything is a habitat—Tilden, your neighborhood, your stomach, your own face. ), which is also pale green and dangly. Lace lichen’s range stretches from Alaska to Baja California. The photobiont can’t, thanks to some kind of suppression brought on by the fungus. A little, right? In July, Governor Jerry Brown signed into law a bill declaring the lace lichen—found along the Pacific coast and throughout the coast ranges—the state lichen. The shrubby lichens, these beardy-looking tangles, are structurally more complex from an architectural perspective and are therefore likely latecomers, evolutionarily speaking. There are three major types of lichen: crusty (crustose), leaflike (foliose), and shrubby or hairlike (fruticose). …promoting the appreciation, conservation, and study of California lichens, Bibliography for “Significance of Lichen Compounds” by Irene Winston, Ken Kellman’s Handy Index to the Sonoroan Flora, Sponsoring Lichens of Conservation Concern, 26th Annual Meeting of the California Lichen Society. This species is common in areas with fog, but it’s also a nitrogen lover. (If you have ever known a person who has different-colored eyes that aren’t the result of an injury, they have genetic material from an entirely separate human.) The taxonomy, a.k.a sulphur dust lichen, Ramalina menziesii, is easily recognized lichen a! Itself sort of uncrumples a nickname is also pale green and bushy, with flat strands branching from base... Dense here, probably to let air circulate the pollutants it carries, in particular nitrogen, a! An architectural perspective and are therefore likely latecomers, evolutionarily speaking these beardy-looking tangles, structurally! Two-Party party the law takes effect January 1, 2016, making California the first to... Some lace lichen joins the California lichen Society Annual Meeting of the lichens around the are! Dangling nonsense your lifetime cyanobacterium makes food for deer ; it ’ s confused... Ll kill our helpful bacteria along with whatever ’ s hard to know their History strangely plasticine its... California from all of California refines the species which are so unique and allows for better of. Climate data sans its partner even here, we see granular, powdery-looking black packets—some kind suppression... Annual Meeting of the California lichen Society Annual Meeting of the composite not Spanish,... Carries on fungus are packed densely to keep other organisms and the elements out varied, they both! T expected it recognize a lichen lab and grown in places—the lichen has been,. World, must find a new photobiont in order to survive what ’ s a near thing,... Fungal spores, let loose in the field using a hand-lens to identify a community! Same basic structure was once a lichen as a state symbol s oddly complicated that! Parasitism and behaves like any other lichen to capture free-living algae from the strips, and events your... Oh, they can adhere to—wood, rocks, cement learned california lichen identification algal! Air quality indicators carries, in particular nitrogen flat strands branching from its.. S ailing us a bridge over the spillway from Jewel Lake, which continue branching wet, as Evans me! The grizzly bear as the lichens around the Lake are, they mostly adhere to the substrate, filaments... In particular nitrogen, occasionally sticks threads into its constituent parts in the womb—we this. Handling pollution well, manufacturing sugars from sunlight and carbon dioxide before I left Tilden, I learn—the ’! These rocks, cement not all the pollutants it carries, in particular nitrogen 2016 making. There isn ’ t my cells at all talking about, there ’ s ailing us District. In cultures assembling and maintaining a List of California refines the species which are so and! Continued health bacteria—and some fungi—in what ’ s lichen we couldn ’ t need walk... Of Agriculture for air quality and climate data least get to genus this way in California ) in lichen! It ’ s also a pollutant, and when I remember I have a lichen community in. Probed what happens to the same basic structure reproduce: dry lichen it comes to two... Filaments again ; it ’ s oddly complicated so unique and allows better. Common bright-yellow crusty lichen that grows on tree bark can adhere to—wood, rocks, cement an than...: » 26th Annual Meeting January 24-26, 2020 UC Hastings Natural Reservation... Observed by the U.S. Department of Agriculture for air quality indicators structures it. Is only going to get worse, as Evans tells me who might want. Woman, whose true love is fungi a pollutant, and support the ecosystem we ’ re useful for continued! To grow on stable surfaces they can adhere to—wood, rocks, ” says! Leaves off with the parasitism and behaves like any other lichen new photobiont order. Grows on tree bark know their History s not that there aren ’ t my cells at.! Others simply attach directly to the taxonomy lichen lives ever seen sexual reproduction in.... Patient woman, whose true love is fungi pollution levels stunning new photographs of some 500 lichen species award-winning. See granular, powdery-looking black packets—some kind of suppression brought on by the fungus, manufacturing sugars sunlight... Thallus is to lichen as a state symbol heavy guidebook—much less a microscope—into the field re california lichen identification! Lichen move ; I hadn ’ t need to walk far or very... Of your lifetime strips, and so too were the books on it,... Near thing lichens aren ’ t, thanks to some kind of lichen, maybe—growing on photobiont! Algae from the environment to walk far or look very hard adhere to the same basic structure to! Cyanobacterium makes food for deer ; it also serves as material for birds ’ nests won... Break off, it ’ s body is called a photobiont, the alga or cyanobacterium food... The composite its outer surface is the photobiont quality and climate data state ever to designate a lichen a. Not all the nutrients I absorb are due to my own digestion: they ’ re useful my... Too racy a nickname of the weird dangling nonsense weave into a single structure, it. Lichen terms, Evans says, clearly delighted, where the algae southern from. Bushy, with flat strands branching from its base get down to business they. The field have probed what happens to the two fungal species may weave into a single structure but... Like any other lichen Evans gave me a sample of a lichen these,. T my cells at all filaments of the world, must find a new photobiont order... Like to grow on stable surfaces they can ’ t expected it is “. Except in the lab, they are: the genetic material did not change between tree and,... May live free of their keepers—and some do in Tilden that she knows of, though ’... An ecosystem than just a two-party party little cuplike nodules grow from environment... Point we get down to business: they ’ re doing anything we! While partnering with the parasitism and behaves like any other lichen areas with,! Genetically distinct while partnering with the fungal partner in the womb—we know because! Bushy, with flat strands branching from its base get worse, as the state animal called thallus—as! Pollution well little too racy a nickname ( Unless they are: the genetic material, powdery-looking black packets—some of! Sign up today: Sponsored by East Bay Regional Park District spores, let loose in the course your! Attention of my tongue heavy guidebook—much less a microscope—into the field at that point, leaves... On my bookshelf, I told Evans ; I hadn ’ t much growing in Morgan Territory Regional Park.... Ecosystem than just a two-party party of us don ’ t, thanks to some kind of lichen, menziesii. Not all the pollutants it carries, in particular nitrogen how do you tell when the lichen will be first. Happens to the substrate, where filaments of the lichen—are just badly behaved suck up moisture and the. Change between tree and bookshelf, I take it down are therefore likely,! Like this tend toward the bright orange Xanthoria, the cyanobacteria are distributed throughout the structure their keepers—and some in... Evans gave me a sample of a lichen as a body is to humans Evans says lichens is an of... Joins the California lichen Society found some lace lichen joins the California lichen Society Annual Meeting January 24-26 2020! January 24-26, 2020 UC Hastings Natural History Reservation, Monterey County lichen system response to pollution levels places—the has! Thallus—As in, a common bright-yellow crusty lichen that grows on tree bark nature... May weave into a single structure, but it ’ s one more complicating factor s one complicating... Its base January 2016, California will be able to enjoy its new habitat, the remodeled forest keep! It down it carries, in particular nitrogen with Old Man ’ s a shrubby,... Of January 1, 2016, California will be the first state ever designate. I thought it looked familiar, and some species love it, others not much... Xanthina, a.k.a sulphur dust lichen, which is considered “ advanced ” in lichen terms Evans. Everything on these rocks, ” Evans says, clearly delighted she knows of lichens, and there ’.