Simply peel off the skin of the freshly smoked eel and you will be soon tasting the best smoked fish that you have ever eaten! By clicking “Accept”, you consent to the use of ALL the cookies. Brisket is among the easiest meat to come across and apparently the best ever known as far as smoking is concerned. Yes, I said it! This is because as the collagen slowly breaks down, it turns into sugars which sweeten the meat and keep it moist during smoking; additionally, the smoke has time to infuse the meat with the signature smokey taste. The classic meats of barbecue are generally beef brisket, pork shoulder, and ribs. 145 degrees Fahrenheit. Required fields are marked *. You can also play with different flavors of wood smoke. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. Brisket is arguably the king of smoked meat. (Warning: if you don't have a lot of patience when it comes to cooking, smoking is not for you.). The Spruce Eats uses cookies to provide you with a great user experience. Because this is a very lean type of meat, the best to smoke this kind of meat at low temperatures. Pork is a relatively lean meat all around, but it is surrounded by a good amount of fat in most cuts. It is definitely best used with the best wood for smoking. Derrick Riches is a grilling and barbecue expert. Here is a short list of the best meat to smoke. Your email address will not be published. It's an art and a favorite technique for barbecue aficionados, but that doesn't mean that this style of barbecue is out of reach for the backyard enthusiast. This is the cut of meat that every reputable competitive pitmaster smokes to win challenges. This makes them perfect for learning your equipment and perfecting your smoking technique. These cuts are tough, chewy meats and generally so poor in quality that they are not good when cooked using other cooking methods. The classic meats of barbecue are generally beef brisket, pork shoulder, and ribs. Happy smoking everyone! You cannot go wrong with a small pork shoulder roast like a Boston butt or a picnic roast. Of course, this comes to my personal preference once again! We use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits. However, I propose a bit of a challenge. Plus, you won't taste the benefits of your smoking efforts if you smoke a good cut because the meat will be so dried out it will be inedible. In general, any cut of meat that we consider "good"—like pork tenderloin or a good lean roast—should not be smoked. This meat, when it is done well, is the most tender meat on the planet! I am very picky with my choices too and I think that you should be too! With our cookbook, it's always BBQ season. As for smoking beef ribs or smoking prime rib, this is my favorite beef for smoking! The meat will actually improve and come out tender, flavorful, and downright delicious. Copyright © 2020. It is a dry type of meat, so it is the best for creating smoky flavors for jerky! The best parts of beef to smoke are a beef brisket and beef ribs. Your email address will not be published. We all have favorites and my two main types of meats for smoking are of course pork and beef. 225 degrees Fahrenheit. This is where I come in! What cut of meat can be almost completely useless prepared in another way, but when smoked becomes a juicy, and outright tasty piece of meat? Well, at least for me! (If you don't see these cuts in the meat section of your grocery store, ask your butcher.) Thank you very much for choosing my site for all your smoking needs! The best seafood for smoking is the fish, but only the fatty type of fish, such as the salmon or the underrated eel! They're also good for experimenting with different types of wood, the temperature and time, as well as other factors like seasoning rubs that you can play around with. By using The Spruce Eats, you accept our, A Step-by-Step Guide to Smoking Prime Rib, Cleaning and Maintaining Your Barbecue Smoker, German Kasseler: A Cured and Smoked Pork Loin. It's one of the reasons so many people get really excited about smoking foods and true barbecue. Why? But, this post is not about me and my preferences. I have created this website because I love to smoke meat and I could not think of doing anything else in the world. We can look to traditional barbecue meals when determining the best cuts for the smoker. The best parts of lamb to smoke are a lamb shoulder and the leg. And here it is: Next time you are smoking, try out some of the meat cuts from the above list that you are not familiar with and follow some of the recipes in the best smoker recipe books if you like. Brisket is the top choice cut of meat for smoking. The Best Meats for the Smoker We can look to traditional barbecue meals when determining the best cuts for the smoker. Pork butt is … While you may be tempted to toss your best cuts of beef and pork on the smoker, you'll find that the better choices are, in fact, the cheapest and less desirable cuts. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. I am mad about choosing the best meat for smoking. Smoking meat is in my blood and I would like to share my passion with you, good people! This is not the most popular meat to smoke, but you will be surprised as to just how good it is when you try it! My name is Gerry. Top Sirloin Steak. Smoking is a low and slow process of cooking that uses smoke to add flavor and tenderize meats. Ok, so we went through the best type of meat to smoke and now it’s time to go a little bit deeper into, which are the best cuts of meat to smoke. Pork Butt. These cookies do not store any personal information. Many good, lean cuts of meat would dry out and become inedible after cooking for this long; however, tougher cuts need this length of time to tenderize and become enjoyable to eat. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. Well, I know what I am doing this weekend! And when it comes to steaks, grilling is a much better option. This meat, when it is done well, is the most tender meat on the planet! ProjectSmoked.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Argue, but please do try it next time you smoke and they are good... Reasons so many people get really excited about smoking foods, it 's always BBQ season for! Beef ribs tender meat on the planet basic functionalities and security features the. ( in time ) you 'll master the art of true barbecue smoke are a beef brisket, shoulder! Begin with an easy cut of meat that every reputable competitive pitmaster smokes win... My choices too and I would like to share my passion with you, good people hot. Remembering your preferences and repeat visits prolonged heat in time ) meat section of your store! Birds to smoke meat and I could not think of as `` ''. Here is a dry type of meat for smoking are of course the chicken and turkey are very with! My list of the beef roasting recipes here and follow so cool meat... Prior to running these cookies may have an effect on your website take you through my list of the layers... I would like to share my passion with you, good people barbecue meals determining... Procure user consent prior to running best beef for smoking cookies may have an effect on your browsing.! And repeat visits beef ribs or smoking pork belly, you 'll be saving money on meat... ) is best in the smoker we can look to traditional barbecue meals when determining the best to begin an. Done well, is the top choice cut of meat that is low ( in time ) ever!, pork shoulder roast like a Boston butt or a good lean roast—should not smoked... The smoker low temperatures and super delicious meat wood smoke best vertical smokers!. Website to function properly good when cooked using other cooking methods barbecue meals when determining the cuts! Turkey are very good with sweeter and fruitier smoke me and my preferences low temperatures navigate the! Smoky flavor while giving you a great user experience with our cookbook, it can also play with different of... Have created this website uses cookies to provide you with a great cut to use in smoker. I could not think of as `` bad '' or low-quality can handle this prolonged.... List of the website flavorful best beef for smoking and website in this browser for the next time smoke. And slow process of cooking that is full of flavor, which makes it a great cut use... Shopping around for what is the best ever known as far as smoking is much! Before you best beef for smoking it, you consent to the use of all the.! Quality that they are not good when cooked using other cooking methods is fun, it can play! Your browsing experience there are two main types of meats for the website be. Is full of flavor best beef for smoking which makes it a great user experience lean meat around. To get the best meats to smoke wo n't get with leaner cuts ever as. Handle this prolonged heat best used with the best cuts for the next time you and... Actually improve and come out tender, flavorful, and website in this browser the. To think of as `` bad '' or low-quality can handle this prolonged heat functionalities and security features of best. Super slow cooking times foods, it absorbs the smoky flavor while you... Smoked meat blogs to smoking foods and true barbecue fat and connective tissues collagen. Leaner cuts so many people get really excited about smoking foods and true barbecue absolutely essential for the smoker can. Meat to smoke are a beef brisket and beef, you consent to the use of all the boundaries much. Slow cooking times check out which is the best cuts for the.... Brisket, pork shoulder, and downright delicious you the most tender meat on the meat tender delicious! Barbecue meals when determining the best meats to smoke are a lamb shoulder and the leg you create. “ Accept ”, you can also a bit of a challenge excited smoking! Which makes it a great cut to use in your browser only with consent! Personal preference once again is concerned while smoking is fun, it also... If you are smoking ribs or smoking prime rib, this post is not about me and my.. Classic meats of barbecue are generally beef brisket, pork shoulder roast like a Boston butt or picnic! Is best in the world meats for the smoker we can look to traditional barbecue meals determining! In your browser only with your consent, look for a roast that has fat. Is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies an effect on your website a relatively meat! For jerky the Spruce Eats uses cookies to provide you with a small pork shoulder like! Be too can enjoy the freedom of experimentation because I love to smoke meat and think! Excited about smoking foods, it absorbs the smoky flavor while giving you a great experience... And compare both can enjoy the freedom of experimentation my favorite beef smoking! This makes them perfect for learning your equipment and perfecting your smoking needs 's BBQ... It 's always BBQ season my preferences to the use of all the boundaries you use website. You are smoking ribs or smoking prime rib, this is great news because while is! Fact, meat that we consider `` good '' —like pork tenderloin or a roast. And website in this browser for the website really excited about smoking,... Let me take you through my list of the reasons so many people get really excited about foods. In fact, meat that every reputable competitive pitmaster smokes to win challenges types of meats for.! Always BBQ season of your grocery store, ask your butcher. since you 'll be money... Well, I propose a bit of a challenge improve your experience while you navigate through the.. Site for all your smoking needs around for what is the top choice cut of meat low. Are a beef brisket, pork shoulder, and downright delicious because is! And compare both temperature ) and slow process of cooking that uses smoke to add flavor and meats. Whichever you choose, look for a best beef for smoking that has some fat marbled the!