I just love the crispy, flaky ‘fish’ with the rich and creamy curry combo in this dish. The banana flower is also known as banana heart or banana blossom. banana blossoms (for this recipe I am using banana blossoms in brine from the COCK BRAND), marinade: water, salt, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, curry sauce: tomato puree, cashew cream (or full-fat coconut milk), onion, ginger, garam masala, salt, and oil. Please consider donating to Viva! In each floret remove the longest string with a round head called the 'stamen' and the translucent thin cover. 's fabulous health... Start your morning the right way with this fresh, zingy, energising smoothie. It is fleshy with purple skin in the shape of a tear. Place the potatoes into the oven to cook for 35-40 minutes. Until now, I’ve found canned banana blossoms in brine from three brands: AROY-D, CHAOKOH, and COCK BRAND. Check it out: https://investigations.peta.org/monkeys-abused-coconut-milk/, Your email address will not be published. I’m Bianca. Vegan Recipe Club is part of our project to make going – and staying – vegan really easy by providing amazing recipes which make even meat-eaters’ mouths water! Curry. Banana Flower Curry. Mochar Ghonto Recipe (Traditional Banana Blossom Curry From … Account registration is no longer required to favourite recipes. . Hi! Ultimate Hummus Recipe (including sesame-free option), Monster 'Sausage', Cheese, Pesto & Roasted Pepper Sandwich, 2 tins banana blossom, drained and rinsed well (you can buy banana blossom from Sainsbury's, Holland & Barrett, online and Asian supermarkets), 2-3 tbsp seaweed sprinkles/flakes (eg Clearspring Nori Sprinkles), Small bowl of plain flour for coating 'fish', 275ml/1⅛ scant cups vegan beer (chilled) or use sparkling water or alcohol-free beer. In my opinion, the most time-consuming part is the part where you need to pull the florets out of the petals and clip the ends. Trying to think of ideas for the kids' lunchboxes can be a bit of a headache! Complete with step by step instructions with pictures and cooking tips. Lay the crispy banana blossom fish on top of the curry. And don’t forget to rate the recipe if you like it, this helps other users figure out if it’s worth a try! Crazy right? Enjoy this classic Greek salad with dreamy vegan 'feta' :). Of course, you can also use smaller ones and just make more fishy pieces per serving. This is a simplified version of a Thai street food dish. Complete with step by step instructions with pictures and cooking tips. The banana blossoms in the COCK BRAND can are huge and there are usually only 4 pieces in the can, which can be hard to work with but they do make really beautiful large fish pieces. Required fields are marked *. Most owners are really nice and stock up on them when there’s a demand, so it’s worth asking for them! working with banana blossoms is new and exciting and amazing and mind-blowing! Optional serving suggestions: chips, lemon wedges, coleslaw, peas, mushy peas, vegan mayo, tartar sauce, tomato sauce. I am SO excited to share this recipe with you for many reasons: Bananas on trees grow in clusters and at the end of the cluster, there’s a purple flower growing – this is known as the banana blossom (or banana blower or banana heart). Because of their flaky, somewhat fibrous texture, they also make an absolutely awesome fish replacement for many recipes. 10 Minute Banana Blossom 'Fish' | VRC | veganrecipeclub.org.uk In a pan over medium heat with oil, cook the onion until soft. Dip the marinated banana blossoms into the flour on … It can be enjoyed hot or cold... Use this tasty filling in sandwiches, wraps, jacket potato and salads! Just click the 'Add to favourites' link on a recipe and it will be saved directly within your browser, for as long as you don't clear your cookies for this site. You can easily find it at Javanese Warungs (small familiar restaurants). They make such a nice sweet... Burgers should most definitely not be confined to the summer. Drain and rinse the banana blossoms. https://investigations.peta.org/monkeys-abused-coconut-milk/. I’ve seen them used for fish and chips, which I’m also desperate to try, but my favourite ever has to be fish tacos. Crispy vegan fish using banana blossoms in a rich and creamy curry sauce. When I went vegan in 2012, I fell in love with food all over again. Viva! Squeeze fresh lemon over the top and serve with optional serving suggestions. Banana Blossoms are perfect to make vegan fish! Give it a stir, add salt and more to taste and set it aside once warm. In Bahasa, this dish is called Gulai Jantung Pisang. I love homemade bread, pancakes, avocado, and anything in between! Explore the full potential of the banana flower in this curry recipe with Indonesian flavours. Zaalouk is a traditional, aubergine-based, Moroccan side dish but we prefer to make it as a delicious main with all... You can use this classic sauce in recipes or as a drizzle or topping for ice creams and desserts :). Vegan lifestyle, tips, nutrition, health... Latest from the Food Team in the Viva! Give yourself a... Indulgent and healthy... does it get any better!? Heat half of the oil in a medium non-stick frying pan over a low heat and add the cumin and mustard seeds. This recipe was developed by Viva! Oil your hands and start working with the banana flowers. Looking for Thai food recipes with Banana - banana blossom? We support kindness for animals, our health and the planet. The textures are simply amazing! Pour the lemon juice evenly over the banana blossom then cover them with the seaweed flakes (add more if necessary) and a good sprinkling of salt.